Petit Fours

Decorating By chassidyg Updated 14 May 2008 , 2:27pm by Suzycakes

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 4

I was wanting to try some of these. Could I make a sheet cake, and torte and fill it, put it back together and use a cookie cutter to cut out the petit fours?

Thanks in advance!

3 replies
Mommaskip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommaskip Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 4

im assuming you would treat petit fours like any other cake that you would do. bake a sheet cake and use the cookie cutter to cut out the cakes first and then fill and ice them.

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:33pm
post #3 of 4

you sure can if your cookie cutter is deep enough or cut to size with a knife

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 4

I use a regular 1" deep cookie sheet with a pound cake recipe for my petit fours. Then once the cake is cooled I put a thin layer of buttercreme on top and then freeze until solid or ready to use. For my personal preference I think that regular cake batter and using a regular cake pan makes the cakes too light, fluffy and tall -- when tends to make the petits not stand up pretty and straight once they are cut in to small pieces.

If I torte it (some of my customers don't want the filling) I do it after I cut the individual squares and then use the poured fondant.

Just a hint of advice -- if you use the poured fondant consider using a 32 oz styrofoam cup filled 2/3 full with the poured fondant to pour the icing on the cake squares (or rounds) it makes it extremely easy to control and cover for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%