Color Fading On Fondant

Decorating By cherrycakes Updated 16 May 2008 , 1:54pm by cherrycakes

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 7

This is the first time that I've tried using fondant (marshmallow). I made pink loops for a bow and discovered after 2 days that they faded considerably. They were in a room with the blinds closed so they didn't have any direct sunlight. I also used Americolor gel. Any ideas as to why this happened?

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 7

Do you have a fluorescent light in the room? I've noticed that my MMF fades in fluorescent light, much more than it does in a room with regular light.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:02pm
post #3 of 7

Pink is the only color I have a problem with fading. It actually faded overnight and no fluorescent lights in my house. I don't know what it is with the color pink, but Wilton and Americolor pink both fade on me. We'll have to think of another way to color things pink, maybe luster dust or airbrushing them?

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:10pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

Pink is the only color I have a problem with fading. It actually faded overnight and no fluorescent lights in my house. I don't know what it is with the color pink, but Wilton and pink both fade on me. We'll have to think of another way to color things pink, maybe or airbrushing them?

Now that you mention it, the pink things that I paint with pearl dust (almost all pink things that I make icon_lol.gif ) don't fade, and the pink things that I don't paint do fade. My orange fades too.

cherrycakes Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks! I'll have to try the pearl dust because with a two year old daughter whose favorite color is pink I have a feeling I'll need to find a good alternative. By the way, I don't have fluorescent lights.

Would it help to make the pink much darker than I would like?

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 7

i use wilton and have never had a problem with fading... also what do alot when having to make pink or red or black cakes, i suck it up and buy pre made fondant in those colors, and have never has them fade.

cherrycakes Posted 16 May 2008 , 1:54pm
post #7 of 7

Has anyone tried using a touch of red to make pink fondant? If so, does it fade like the pink does on MMF?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%