Please Tell Me How This Crazy Cake Is Set Up????!!!!

Decorating By shantel575 Updated 23 May 2008 , 5:42am by Suzycakes

shantel575 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shantel575 Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:33am
post #1 of 21

OK so someone emailed me this photo and asked if I could do a cake set up like this (the actual construction and set up, not the same design or decorations). I don't know where she got the photo! It came straight to me in an email attachment icon_smile.gif

Any ideas, tips, explanations, diagrams, tutorials, etc. would be very appreciated! icon_lol.gif lol

Shantel
LL

20 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 14 May 2008 , 10:28am
post #2 of 21

There was a cake a while back that was very similar to this and Doug sketched out a diagram on how to stack it. Maybe if you search around you can find the post or you can pm Doug. I know he will know how. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Marvelous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marvelous Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:03am
post #3 of 21

Here it is! I'm not sure who posted this but it of course came from cake central. I saved it so i could print it for my own reference. Again, Sorry I don't know who originally posted it!
LL

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 21

ooooooh, his name escapes me now, but I believe it was posted that the ballerina-man turned cake decorator guy did that cake. Ron something?

anyway, I remember someone writing that the second layer from the top was not real cake.

does anyone know who I am talking about?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:28pm
post #5 of 21

Ron Ben-Israel. I love his work.

One suggestion is to do the cylinder in styrofoam since I believe that will be the most difficult part to work out. If not, cake board in the middle (narrow section) and carve it to shape.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:29pm
post #6 of 21

Wasn't it somebody named Peters? Or was this a Nicholas lodge? All I remember is someone posting that the original person who made this gets very mad when people copy his design. And it was a Man.
Jen...

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 21

Ron Ben Israel did the original......and Doug drew up the model you see there to the left................I think!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 21

Ron Ben Isreal?

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 21

just pm doug he's the best with these thing..

aswartzw Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellormom

Wasn't it somebody named Peters? Or was this a Nicholas lodge? All I remember is someone posting that the original person who made this gets very mad when people copy his design. And it was a Man.
Jen...

Here's an article on the guy and his website.

http://www.grandweddingcakes.com/default.asp

http://www.weddingcakes.com/

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 14 May 2008 , 4:57pm
post #11 of 21

I'm pretty sure I could help you with the BOTTOM layer. hahahahaha icon_biggrin.gif

ruthberry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthberry Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 21

yes, Ron Ben Israel. LOL, that's who I was thinking.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:16pm
post #13 of 21

how does the top cake not slide off the board??
im just picturing gravity pulling the cake down enough that it tears apart around the dowel and slides off the board

coreenag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coreenag Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:22pm
post #14 of 21

Thanks for posting that link aswartz! Great magazine to download!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:23pm
post #15 of 21

I suspect if you use foam core and then put a few dowels in the cake into the foam core, it will stay put.

I also think the odd shaped thing isn't really a cake, but syrofoam. How much are you going to charge for this cake> Just curious! I would be too chicken myself! haha!

aswartzw Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:49pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auryn

how does the top cake not slide off the board??
im just picturing gravity pulling the cake down enough that it tears apart around the dowel and slides off the board

I get the same picture! I wonder if it's not the placement of that last dowel (the one where the cake meets the other cake). It seems to be what's holding the cake together.

No problem with the magazine. I googled ben israel and found it and even found some of his recipes in it. Definitely requires more investigation! thumbs_up.gif

shantel575 Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:08pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I suspect if you use foam core and then put a few dowels in the cake into the foam core, it will stay put.

Thanks everyone for the info.! I did also pm Doug to see what he might add, I will take all the info. I can get my hands on! I am not looking forward to attempting this at all. It will be a smaller cake though so hopefully it'll be ok.

What is foam core and how would you use it along with cake in a tier?

Thanks!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 15 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #18 of 21

You can buy foam core at a craft store..you use it instead of a cake board. It is pretty stiff, yet easy to push dowels through..

shantel575 Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:26am
post #19 of 21

Thank you ALL for your help! I couldn't have done this thing without you! lol I finally finished it though... of course this is a much smaller version but she only needed 50 servings. Thank goodness for the version using foam! I would've stressed out majorly if it had just been the doweled version! It wasn't too bad at all.... I'm ready to try a bigger one icon_smile.gif
LL

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 2:37am
post #20 of 21

Very nice cake. You did an excellent job. I love the colors the are so elegant together. Go for the big one thumbs_up.gif

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 23 May 2008 , 5:42am
post #21 of 21

You did a great JOB! I love your take on the original better than the original! Thanks for sharing -- maybe one of these days I'll have enough nerve to try one of my own!

Thanks for sharing.

Suze

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%