Newbie Wanting To Try Fbct

Decorating By ebear Updated 14 May 2008 , 2:27pm by ebear

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:00am
post #1 of 5

Hi all..I'm a newbie to cake decorating and a newbie to this site. (which I LOVE!)
I would like to make a FBCT but I'm intimidated by them..Can I buy black icing in the tube from the store to make the outline or should the BC for be homemade for all of it? Also..once its outlined and coloured in do you smooth it out with a neutral colour? If I do that won't all the other colours bleed together?
I'm sure all this is repetative but ahhhhhhhh..I need help!
Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 5

Hi ebear and Welcome to CC,

I have never used the premade black but it should work if you don't want to make it yourself.

Once you outline and color in your picture I usually smooth the back so the icing is pressed down filling in all of the wholes (if there were any) and flatten the picture.

it doesn't matter if it's blended because it's the back (the part going up against the cake surface).

If the picture is small or intricate I add a layer of the base icing color to make it more sturdy and thick.

I have a FBCT of a fish in my pics. They are so much fun.

HTH and Good Luck!!!!!

Ladiva

ebear Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the info! icon_biggrin.gif Now..once I do the outline and the colour do I have to let it set before I smooth the back out or just do it all at once?

whimsy_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsy_chick Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 5

Hi ebear- don't be scared! I just did a fbct of Darth Vader for the first time. I used the buttercream recipe that is attached with the directions on how to do a fbct from this site, wriiten by cali4dawn. I used Americolor black gel to color the buttercream icing for Darth's head. I had no bleeding color issues.

After completing darth, I put him in the freezer for about 20 minutes to harden and then I covered the whole fbct in the white frosting which matched my cake and left overnite.

It ended up being super easy, I was just slow. Do it, you won't regret it!

I will attach a pic of my darth.
LL

ebear Posted 14 May 2008 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 5

Hi..Thanks..I think I get it now. I was confused about letting it freeze first and then putting the icing on the back.
Can't wait to try it now!
You guys are AWESOME..thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%