Hummingbird Cake - Frosting Opinion Needed

Decorating By dinas27 Updated 15 May 2008 , 2:37pm by dinas27

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing a cake tasting this weekend for a co-worker

one of their flavor choices is hummingbird cake (bride is allergic to nuts, gluten and egg yolks) the groom does not like cream cheese frosting.

I am doing to make the cake with just bananas, pineapple, coconut NO pecans. I usually pair it with creamcheese icing but that is a no go.

Ideas so far - toasted coconut buttercream
- white chocolate buttercream
- white chocolate toasted coconut buttercream

I will not use artificial banana flavoring - the smell makes me sick to my stomach. I thought about a pineapple curd filling but they already want 3 flavors on a small cake (4",6",9" squares plus 4" for them to take home) so I'm going for basic SMBC that I can adapt for each cake flavor.

Let me know what you think... thanks!

3 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 4

White chocolate b/c sounds good to me.

As a parent of a peanut sensitive child, please be very careful with your choice of white chocolate and coconut. Most of the coconut I have come across "may contain traces of nuts". Sorry, but it's just the mother in me to give a friendly reminder.

pipercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipercakes Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 4

What about a dark chocolate ganache or BC? I have found that chocolate icing on fruit cakes goes very nicely. icon_smile.gif (I am not a fan of white chocolate, so avoid making it whenever possible)

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 4

I spoke with my bride more about her allergies... she is allergic but not too bad. She doesnt worry about buying chocolate that 'may contain traces of nuts' for herself, so I shouldnt worry too much either. But thanks for that advice... you can never be too careful!

Chocolate sounds good... their other flavor choices are chocolate zucchini with chocolate ganache and vanilla with raspberry. I think I'll make the white chocolate and toasted coconut for them to try... really not too much extra work. I'll also have the chocolate for them to try with the cake too. Thanks for the idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%