Flavoring Antonia74's Royal Icing?

Baking By Vicki77 Updated 14 May 2008 , 9:05am by mgigglin

Vicki77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vicki77 Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 3

Hi Everyone - I have been reading these fourms for about a month, but this is my first post, and first experience with decorating cookies (other than slabbing frosting on Christmas cookies when I was little).

I'm making cookie bouquet centerpieces for my sister in law's baby shower this weekend. I used the NFSC recipe and baked them last night, they turned out great!

So now I move on to decorating. I decided to use Antonia74's royal icing. Do any of you add flavoring to it? I'm just thinking of using some vanilla extract in place of some of the water.

My plan is to pipe a border with a #3 tip, then use the flooding technique to fill in.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you!!

2 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 May 2008 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 3

Welcome to Cake Central. Flavoring royal is certainly permitted. Remember if you use a flavoring or extract that has any color it will effect your icing. Vanilla (I hate the clear stuff) will make them not quite white, but I usually don't mind a creamy white. And it will make them taste better. There are colorless extracts like lemon or almond that also work fine.

mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:05am
post #3 of 3

Hi and welcome!!

I love her RI recipe! I don't decrease any water, I just add a teaspoon of almond to mine. I found that I prefer the almond to vanilla. but one of these days I am going to try cotton candy and see if it is a kid pleaser! I usually color mine all at once then take what I need for the outlining and then will add water to make it thin for the flooding. The icing I flood with I put in a bag or a plastic bottle that has a small round tip on it. Good luck!!

HTH, Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%