Taking My Kindness For Granted--(Long) Vent!

Business By apclassicwed Updated 13 May 2008 , 6:33pm by michellenj

apclassicwed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apclassicwed Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 3

I have (had) a standing order with a young man at church. He & his family (wife & 3 small kids) are very nice and I have developed a "big sister" type relationship with them. He gets 4 cakes (his choice of flavors) for each holiday. He has ordered pound cakes at Christmas, Red Velvet at Valentines day, Caramel for Easter. I even did his daughter's 5th birthday cake

On May 1st, he ordered 4 Chocolate cakes w/ chocolate buttercream for Mother's Day. Since he has been a decent, consistant customer, I go ahead and make the cakes for the scheduled delivery of Saturday May 10th.

I e-mailed him on Wed 5/7 to confirm since I knew I wouldn't be at Bible study that night. No reply. I repeat the emails on Thursday & Friday and even Saturday morning after the cakes were done!! NO REPLY

I put the cakes in my van and take them to church with me on Sunday morning. I see him and let him know that I have the cakes and we'll meet in the parking lot after services (it was POURING rain Sunday here). He agrees. After service I'm looking around for him and HE"S GONE!

I don't hear from him until yesterday (Monday) we make arrangements again and HE WAS A NO SHOW icon_mad.gif

I'm not pi$$ed, but my feelings are hurt icon_cry.gif and I don't treat my cakes lightly. Now, I've wrapped all 4 cakes and putting them in the freezer. I guess I'll take one to work. I think I'm more ticked off about MY TIME--I spent Friday evening after work & Saturday morning baking and running after this guy icon_mad.gif

Why do people take your niceness/kindness as permission to walk over you? Now, I'm treating all orders the same, family, friend or stranger--NO DEPOSIT, NO CONFIRMATION, NO CAKE!

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 3

That's really obnoxious of him, especially since he spoke to you then ditched you. I'd require payment in full from him in the future, don't even give him the benefit of a deposit-only arrangement!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 3

I would have given him the benefit of the doubt if he hadn't blown you off the second time.

I would approach him in the least confrontational way possible, and ask him what is going on. It sounds like he may have run into financial troubles, personal problems, or is just tired of your cakes and wants something different. It could be that someone found a foreign object/hair-whatever. (I know you are clean, but I am just trying to give an example). He could have found out he is diabetic, or is on Weight Watchers-there are a million different reasons, and you will never know unless you ask him. Don't be pissy with him, even though you have every right to be, because you are going to have to deal with him occasionally if you go to that church. You don't want the church circuit gossiping about what a biatch you are, ya know?

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%