Polished Chrome Or Gold Look

Decorating By MosMom Updated 14 May 2008 , 12:08pm by kyoung24

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 8

I was thinking about how when I need a chrome look, silver lustre dust painted on looks "shiny" but dull. If I painted something with silver/gold lustre dust, let it dry, and then coated it with a layer of piping gel would that give it a more polished look?

Has anyone tried this? I have a cake with classic cars on it coming up and I may have to test this idea out and see if it gives a true shiny polished chrome look.

7 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 8

For chrome mix nu-silver and pearl lustre dust and paint on. Looks just like chrome! icon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 8

they also make highlighter dust and stuff like that that is super chrome-y

kyoung24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyoung24 Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 8

does anyone know what the silver paint is they use on Ace of Cakes? I see him use it for chrome but I don't know what it is

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 8

I'd love to know too!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:54pm
post #6 of 8

Luster dust paint can produce Chrome color, but I don't think it's the chrome that loolks like a mirror. But it will be Silver.

APrettyCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
APrettyCake Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 8

Duff airbrushes a lot of his cakes. Airbrush colors now come in metallic gold, silver, pearl and pink. If you don't have an airbrush, you can always "paint" the airbrush color on. I think I paid 12.00 per bottle for my paints - and they are shiny icon_biggrin.gif

kyoung24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyoung24 Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:08pm
post #8 of 8

that must be it. I saw them painting it on with a brush. It was the guitar cake that the silver paint was spilled on when they were brush painting, so they added a guitar strap to cover the spill.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%