Buttercream Icing With Fondant Accents

Decorating By Luv2CakDecor Updated 15 May 2008 , 3:39pm by jammjenks

Luv2CakDecor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luv2CakDecor Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to make a contemporary cake with Retro Circles. I favor buttercream icing, so I am a little unsure how I can pull this off neatly using buttercream. If I use fondant as the Retro Circles, won't the buttercream icing break the fondant down? I have seen a couple of cakes in the gallery, but overall how does the cake fair hours later with the fondant accents?

6 replies
courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 7

I just did a cake with smbc and fondant accents. I finished it yesterday and it still looked the same today. I just put a little bit of buttercream on the back of each piece and attached it to the cake. I did refrigerate the cake before applying the accents... I don't know if that matters, but I thought I'd tell you incase it did.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 13 May 2008 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 7

It will be fine. Buttercream does not break down fondant. Most fondant cakes I know of have at least a thin layer of buttercream underneath, to adhere the fondant to the cake. Some decorators even ice the cake with their usual layer of buttercream before covering with fondant.

I've done fondant accents on a buttercream cake before, and it all went fine.

See my cake gallery: the Glock 19 cake has a fondant gun on a buttercream cake. The Nintendo cake has fondant corners over buttercream, the 50th birthday cake has fondant circles on a buttercream cake...all are ok and were decorated at least 24 hours prior to delivery.

Luv2CakDecor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luv2CakDecor Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 7

Karateka,

Do you put your fondant accents on crusting buttercream icing?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:22pm
post #5 of 7

I put fondant accents on my crusting buttercream for almost every cake I make. I've never had a problem...

doodleism Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodleism Posted 15 May 2008 , 1:35pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2CakDecor

Karateka,

Do you put your fondant accents on crusting buttercream icing?

Yes, it's the only kind of icing I can use in my business. I'm sure you'll be fine. thumbs_up.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 15 May 2008 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 7

I don't work with fondant that much, but I have some. I always use crusting bc. When I roll out fondant, I use powdered sugar to keep it from sticking to my mat. When I cut out shapes, there's always powdered sugar on the back of the shape. I just use a paint brush and paint water on the back. Along with the ps, it makes a glue to adhere it to the bc. It has never broken down or anything and will stick just fine. Some people use piping gel, some use bc, but I just use plain ol' H2O.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%