Fondant Covered Cakes...use Only Shelf Stable Fillings???

Decorating By tomatoqeen Updated 13 May 2008 , 2:15pm by MacsMom

tomatoqeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomatoqeen Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:53am
post #1 of 7

Hi!! I am new to decorating and this site. Love everyone and all the wonderful info. Please excuse this question. I know fondant covered cakes should not be refrigerated due to sweating, but does this mean only shelf-stable fillings can be used?? If so, how do you know what fillings to use?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 13 May 2008 , 7:14am
post #2 of 7

I usually fill mine with buttercream or jam. I'm sure other people have come up with much tastier fillings, though icon_biggrin.gif I can't wait to see what they suggest. By the way, this was a very good question icon_biggrin.gif

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 13 May 2008 , 7:46am
post #3 of 7

I would definitely test this in your own kitchen/refrigerator...but that being said, I always refrigerate my fondant covered cakes and have never had a problem with sweating so I pretty much use whatever filling I want icon_smile.gif If you want to leave it out, ganache is very good and is shelf stable for a day or two, you can also buy fillings from cake stores that are shelf stable, HTH..

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:34am
post #4 of 7

Hi there, I always use buttercream. the only thing I do with fresh cream is the Ganache. I'm sure you can do fruit fillings and curds. I'm a person who deosn't like to put my cakes in the fridge. So no creams and cheeses.

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 7

I refrigerate my fondant cakes. Only had a problem with sweating in the hottest months of summer. Jack up the air when it is really hot out before you pull it out. I did a tiered cake recently and it was chilly out, I had no sweating at all.

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 7

I only use shelf stable fillings, period. I have no control over the client if they choose not to refrigerate a cake...they could let it sit out for days after the wedding without it being refrigerated. Most customers do not have the refrigerator space to store a large cake anyway.

I only use buttercream or the sleeved pastry fillings available at most cake decorating supply stores and online. The sleeved pastry fillings are delicious, do not soak into your cake (jams do soak into cake and will mold if not refrigerated), and the cakes do not need to be refrigerated. I even use the cream cheese filling to make a cream cheese buttercream. There are several flavors to choose from.

Love them!! I have about 7 different flavors on hand right now, just tie up the bag with a twistie tie, stick them in a ziploc bag ( I use 2 freezer bags), and store them in the fridge until you need it again!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 7

I ALWAYS stick my fondant cakes in the fridge. Yes, they sweat, but they dry too. Perfectly.

When I have to freeze them I let them defrost in the fridge first, then bring them out to completely dry. Sweating can be too much if you take it straight from freezer to counter.

If you live in a humid area, use a fan blowing directly on your cake to help speed drying time.

Make sure that you remove the cake from the fridge at least 3 hours before delivery (or pick-up) to give ample time to dry.

I do use sleeve fillings and Bettercreme (or Frostin Pride), but that's only for safety purposes since I don't know how long the cake will be out before the party is ready to serve it - especially if it will be outdoors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%