Fondant Animals

Decorating By moejoe Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 7:04pm by summernoelle

moejoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moejoe Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:10am
post #1 of 27

I was wondering how much to charge and how hard will it be to make these fondant animals ? Any input would be great.
LL

26 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:46am
post #2 of 27

From my experience each animal will take approx. 1 hr. I'd charge about $20-40 just for them.

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:43am
post #3 of 27

Oh my, that is one cute cake!! Who did that cake? Is it in the gallery? I'd love to save it to my favoritesicon_smile.gif

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:51am
post #4 of 27

This is absolutly adorable. Love the elephant. thumbs_up.gif

moejoe Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 27

Someone had asked meif I knew how to make these animals for her daughter's birthday next month. She emailed me this picture of this cake. I have no idea who made it. But it sure is beautiful. She wants me to make these animals.

moejoe Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 27

so I made 2 elephants. The 1st one came out ok, I realozed that the trunk was too thin and long and the head too small. So I made the second one and I think it came out better. It did take me an hour to make each one. This is the first time I made aniamls . Now the lady wants me to make all 6 of them and the plaque. She said she bougt all the fondant and colors that she will give me to make. So how much should I really charge her. Yes they are time consuming but if she is giving me the product. This is thepart I hate , trying to figure out how much to charge. Any ideas? I was thinking anywhere from $20.00 to $30.00.

moejoe Posted 14 May 2008 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 27

soory the pic didn't load before.
LL

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 27

This is probably a dumb question, but are you making this cake or just the animals? If your making the cake, both tiers? all fondant an what size are all factors to consider.
Great job on the elephants.

moejoe Posted 14 May 2008 , 7:51pm
post #9 of 27

no I am just making the animals.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 May 2008 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 27

If there are 6 and they take an hour each, then you need to figure out how much you want to make an hour and multiply by 6.
$20 would be $3.33 an hour, $30 would be $5 an hour.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 27

I would not charge less than $5 per animal -but realistically, if I were just making the animals, I would probably charge $8-$10 per animal -- however, since she's providing you with the fondant, I think $5 each ($30 total) is pretty fair.

Btw... you did a GREAT job replicating the elephant. Be sure to post them all when you're done. I'm getting ready to make my first fondant figure tonight (a horse, from the "Cake Art" book) - I hope mine turns out at least 1/2 as good.. LOL

moejoe Posted 15 May 2008 , 12:42am
post #12 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

I would not charge less than $5 per animal -but realistically, if I were just making the animals, I would probably charge $8-$10 per animal -- however, since she's providing you with the fondant, I think $5 each ($30 total) is pretty fair.

Btw... you did a GREAT job replicating the elephant. Be sure to post them all when you're done. I'm getting ready to make my first fondant figure tonight (a horse, from the "Cake Art" book) - I hope mine turns out at least 1/2 as good.. LOL

Thanks butterflywings. I bought 2 books on ploymer clay characters and I watced a few videos on youtube to help me. I told her that it would cost her $35.00 for 6 animals and plaque. I am waiting to hear back from her.

moejoe Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:15am
post #13 of 27

ok so I finally finished these animals. she threw me a curve when after i made 3 of them she wanted them to be atleast 3 inches tall. So i had to make them all over again. she is meeting up with my husband and will give him a big box of fondant, the gel colors and my money. i have to say it was work to make these but they weren't at all that bad to make. tell me what you think.
LL
LL
LL

7yyrt Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:18am
post #14 of 27

Ooh - I love the hippos!

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:37am
post #15 of 27

AAwww!! Too cute!! You did a great job!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 1:42am
post #16 of 27

I know I'm probably getting on this late, but I'd charge $10 each for them if I supplied the fondant.

They turned out adorable. Are you going to put them in your pics? I'd like to save them to my favs.

tree45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tree45 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:22am
post #17 of 27

I know this sound's a little strange, but I find practicing figures with playdoh first, is pretty helpful. You know sitting in front of the tellie watching Ace of Cakes (lol) and practising shapes with the playdoh. icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:40am
post #18 of 27

Not strange at all, tree45... Those clay instruction books are just what many use for the directions. But you can eat these!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:43am
post #19 of 27

I just wanted to say that adorable cake was done by a wonderful lady Summernoelle icon_smile.gif

Those characters are cute as can be ... I wouldn't charge less then 50.00

moejoe Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:38pm
post #20 of 27

I know we all were wondering who made this cake. The lady went to a bakery by her and they are making the cake but not the animals. She said that they said they do not know how to make them. Ok a bakery who wont make fondant animals, then
i sure would not go there ever again. I also bought the clay books and that was how I learned how to make them. Thanks to who told me to get the books. It just took about an hour or so for each animal. I did use the wilton fondant and that was perfect since it is a little hard. The lion looking one I had to use Satin Ice fondant and that was way too soft, I had to add gum tex to it. But the lady is giving me a big box of fondant and all the gel colors so I charged her $35.00. I know I could have charged her more.

wgoat5 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 5:41pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I just wanted to say that adorable cake was done by a wonderful lady Summernoelle icon_smile.gif

Those characters are cute as can be ... I wouldn't charge less then 50.00

SummerNoelle made that beautiful cake icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:18pm
post #22 of 27
wgoat5 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:25pm
post #23 of 27

She makes all versions all colors including the one posted icon_smile.gif

http://www.butterflysweets.blogspot.com/

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 5:57am
post #24 of 27

You guys are amazing, can't believe you tracked down SummerNoelle on that! thumbs_up.gif

And moejoe, you did a great job on the animals, they are so cute. Hope you had a lot of fun making them icon_smile.gif

moejoe Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 4:19pm
post #25 of 27

I must have got a bad resolution of the picture since I could make out somethings so clear. Now that I see the original one, I did make them a little different. Yes the cake Summernoelle made was beautiful. I did enjoy making them. this is the 2nd time I used fondant to mold something. The first ones were the pole dancers for my son's cake and now the animals. The animals were so much easier.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 6:56pm
post #26 of 27

Yep, my cake was the original-on my site and in my gallery.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%