First Wedding Cake Questions

Decorating By oceanspitfire Updated 21 May 2008 , 3:17pm by toodlesjupiter

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 4

Ok here's the scenario.
I'm doing my twin sister's wedding cake Aug 30 - not concentrating on anything else between now and then so I have lots of time to practice.
Here's the scoop for the wedding so far (she lives across country, they came out in April for visit/cake tasting but all the other planning is phone/email).
***roughly 95 at the wedding
***caterers are doing everything minus dessert, so cake is the dessert also.
***they want one 'traditional' (or elegant maybe, as opposed to funky or whimsical) wedding cake- they've decided on the chocolate that we tasted. And then the guests are getting a sheet cake of two flavour options. Oh and the icing will be a chocolate ganache (on the main cake).
***Wedding colours are cream/burnt orange/umber (waiting for samples of those but that's basically the range of colours I'm working with, which is fine, since I think that would look really elegant with a chocolate cake.)
***The whole cake doesn't have to be edible, as it is mainly for cutting/pictures.
I'm thinking I like the idea of a couple of ribbons around the bottom and sort of draped (like in the picture attached but not those exact colours, that's just a general idea)
So a few questions:
1) How many tiers is acceptable? To make sure they have one for saving for anniversary and one to cut. Since the guests are getting sheet cake it doesn't have to be 2 does it? Although I think 3, from what I've seen, 2 stacked as in this pic and then 3rd on pillars (or Im really in love with the wine glass idea) would be nice too. (Again I have lots of time to practice tiers/stacking, so that's not a factor in my decision. Which layer gets cut of the three then? The middle or the bottom?
2) What is the procedure for cutting a cake that is wrapped/draped in ribbon? (that is just one of my ideas, if it's all edible then that won't be an issue)
3) Sheet cake: to serve 2 different flavours, what looks nicer, 2 separate smaller sheet cakes or have both together? What's the norm?
4) Anyone have links to their favourite elegant chocolate cakes (wedding)? I looked in the round (yes it has to be round by the way lol) folder on here and only saw one chocolate cake -they must exist though, right? lol just wanting to get some more ideas for inspiration.
5) Sheet cake cutting: since the caterers are not in charge of dessert, should I be in charge of cutting the sheet cake? I know I should be sitting here looking at sites on how to, because they do exist, but I don't really have time this week to sit for hours (and I will get caught up doing just that lol) this week, perusing the how to sites for exactly what I need. It's an insane week at school, jobs to apply for this week, final project to finish, my nephew's birthday cake to do- you know the drill people lol

Thanks in advance for your expertise!
LL

3 replies
oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 4

Another question re sheet cake: any pics out there anyone can post? I mean in conjunction with the wedding cakes they did so I can see how you coordinated the main cake(s) with your sheet cakes at the wedding? I'm just wondering how fancy or what not, to go with the sheet cake(s) compared to the main cake.
I had another question earlier that I tried adding but when I clicked on submit, luck would have it the site was down for maintenance so I lost it and forgot what it was icon_smile.gif) will think of it later. lol
Thx again

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 21 May 2008 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 4

I can't help with the sheet cake questions, but here are a couple of my favorite chocolate wedding cakes... I was just looking myself for my first wedding cake also.

One by helipops:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1181452.html

and one by 2muchsugar:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1161313.html

Anyway, hope these help! Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%