Dilemma Regarding Stolen Cake Photos

Decorating By springlakecake Updated 13 May 2008 , 1:22pm by BigTexinWV

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:20pm
post #1 of 18

Hi all-
I was alerted by a couple of members that someone is using other decorators photos for their website. 2 of them were mine (finally LOL!) I know one is pink cake box, because her watermark is still on it!

I tried to contact them with their "contact us" page, but it didn't work. Now I know you all want to see it, but I am not sure if I want to unleash the madness that these people will face once everyone gets ahold of it.

There is a phone number..should I just try and handle this myself and let them know that it isnt appropriate? Or should I just leave it be? It really isnt hurting me any at this point, but I guess I would prefer she isnt advertising her biz with my hard work. Ya know?

17 replies
smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 18

I would call her since there is some of your work on there.
And keep the site in your favs and check up every once in a while....

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 18

I know what you mean.

I came across a site that had pics from a member here. I PM'd her and let her handle it. I too struggled with whether or not to post it as I may not have recognized all the pics but decided not to. Mainly for the reason you stated, I have seen folks get UGLY and be so mean. I understand being upset and wanting to get the photos off but some folks go overboard.

So, maybe contact them directly yourself, if you know who owns the other photos, tell them privately and let them handle it. HTH, and good luck getting a positive response from them.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 18

I agree with the responses so far, and just want to say (tongue in cheek) Congrats on being that good! I'd love it if one day I was good enough to have other people want to take credit for my work! I'm kidding of course, I know it's horrible to put in the effort and have someone steal that from you, just being funny!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 18

Merissa, you are always so good about crediting others yourself! It is a shame someone has stolen from you. I often think to myself that you should watermark your originals. That being said, continue to take the high road as you always do. Go through the proper channels to get the situation resolved as best as you can. Then, if you don't get anywhere with the perpetrator, unleash your CC family on her! LOL, just kidding... high road, high road...

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 18

1. It's flatering that they liked your cake, but to use it to advertise their business and bring in customers without asking and getting permission is going to far.
I know you probably don't want to start any drama,but it's not fair to you.
If you let one person get away with it, you may start finding your photos on more sites than hers.

2. This should give people a good example/and a better understanding of how the big companies feel about copyright infringment.

Why should someone else be allowed to make money off of your hard work.

Just be polite and ask or send a letter to her requesting that she remove your photos from her site. If she refuses and you run an official cake business, you have every right to take legal action and recup any earnings she may have made by using your photos.

Can you tell that I work at a law firm? icon_biggrin.gif (Patent/Trademark Dept.)

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 18

Can you view the pictures if you are not a member? I would be livid if my work that I posted to help other people (and brag) was stolen by a fellow member, possibly a friend, and represented on their web site as their own work. But that is just me. I don't mean to stir the pot or be huffy.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 18

I would get ahold of them by e-mail first. If that didn't work, call. It's theft, and lying, not good.

Mike

springlakecake Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 18

thanks all!

I guess I am just a coward! I wanted to email, but like I said, it didnt work! So I guess it is calling or formal letter. I'll think about it!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 18

Hey, merissa, was any of my work there? Don't expect it, but if this person is going for cakes that haven't been "targeted" before, I'm a prime candidate! icon_lol.gif

Seriously, though, I know you'll handle this calmly and get it all taken care of without a ruckus. Keep us posted on how it goes.

RMF73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RMF73 Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 18

I agree with mcelromi1. Like her, I too am an attorney and if someone else wants to use your work to make money off of it, then either have them pay you to use it or demand that they remove it.

Dont be shy and stand up for what is right. You clearly have plenty of supporters to stand behind you.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:57pm
post #12 of 18

If you recongize someone elses cakes then I would PM and let them know personally. Usually if someone posts a site that has other people's pictures it turns into a witch hunt and people that don't even have pictures on the site get involved and alot of the time people get hurt in the past.

Atleast the watermark is still on them and there for you are getting credit for them rather then them claiming it totally as theres.

Just call them, be polite and let them know that you wish for them to remove your pictures from their site. Some people don't realise it is against the law, and they may learn something new.

NICKY2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NICKY2 Posted 12 May 2008 , 8:00pm
post #13 of 18

Wouldnât that be an inappropriate use of this site? Maybe they (not sure who they are) should be contacted and the member removed.

springlakecake Posted 12 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 18

You know what? I am not even sure now it is a real site! LOL! First becasue the website has some columbiastate.edu sorta thing, like maybe it is a school project. Then the email feature didnt work. And last when I went to look at the phone number it was a 555 (isnt that what they use for TV??)

Well I think I'll just let this go, because I don't think it's real. Guess I'll still have to wait for someone to steal my stuff.
LOL!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

You know what? I am not even sure now it is a real site! LOL! First becasue the website has some columbiastate.edu sorta thing, like maybe it is a school project. Then the email feature didnt work. And last when I went to look at the phone number it was a 555 (isnt that what they use for TV??)

Well I think I'll just let this go, because I don't think it's real. Guess I'll still have to wait for someone to steal my stuff.
LOL!

Hmmm.......interesting. The things they teach in school these days! lol icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 13 May 2008 , 9:58am
post #16 of 18

Without getting all uptight about it, perhaps we should worry about what they don't seem to teach or emphasise... eg if it is a school project maybe they could brush up on manners and etiquette eg 'borrowing' materials and the courtesy and appropriateness of acknowledgement!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:56am
post #17 of 18

I'm betting it was a school project from the sounds of it....the person in question probably just went to google pictures and got pictures that way.

I wouldn't worry about it.

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:22pm
post #18 of 18

It very well could have been a school project on building a website for a business. Once I had a HUGE school project, we had to make business plans, forcasted earnings, forcasted sales, etc...... It was so intense that it made me NEVER want to own a business. icon_cry.gif

We also had to build a website. Since my group did a car dealership we just googled car pictures and inserted them in our website. But our website was not actually connected to the Internet.

Looking back I think that my school project should have been a car washing instead! ALOT less work.

Hopefully this is the case. But WOW your cakes so awesome that people want to use them as an example!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%