Smbc Vs. Bc Re: Heat & Smoothing & When To Make Cake

Business By CakeDiva73 Updated 15 May 2008 , 7:14pm by KoryAK

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 10

As the summer heat descends, I am having problems figuring out what to use for icing. I have been experimenting and have a fluffy icing base that is part homemade marshmallow and mixed into a butter/crisco icing with some whipping cream. It is hands down the favorite for everyone that tries it.

My dilemma is that it doesn't smooth as well as SMBC. The meringue buttercreams smooth like butter - a glossy finish that can't be beat. But they don't seem to hold up in the summer and I live in Central CA where the temp is 95-100 degrees thruought summertime. Also, sometimes this icing is too rich.

My cream cheese icing is also popular but hard to work with in the heat. Do you guys make sure to leave cakes in the fridge overnight so they have time to set up? Which brings me to my next question:

I have a big 3 tier cake due Saturday and tues -Sat are supposed to be over 95 degrees. I would love to make these but I don't freeze cakes.....and dry cakes is simply unacceptable. So should I stay up late on Thursday and cook them or can I cook them earlier in the week and wrap and fridge? Will they dry out? Doesn't freeezing make the cake sort of weird tasting and potentially dry? thanks icon_smile.gif

9 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 10

Can you use partial crisco in the smbc? That would make it more stable. I don't envy those of you who have to work in the heat icon_smile.gif

I bake from scratch (meaning no preservatives to keep things fresh for me) and I usually bake Wednesday, fill Thursday (usually mousse, so chilled from this point on), and decorate Friday for Saturday events. I use simple syrup and my cakes are not dry.

USING the freezer will not mes up your cakes (wrap them) but ABUSING it will icon_smile.gif... freezers have a bad rap.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 10

I freeze my cakes a lot if you dont leave them in the freezer for a long time they are just as good as a fresh baked cake, as for as the icing goes im no help there if you decide to freeze make sure you wrap really good in ceran wrap then wrap in foil just dont stack them on top of each other they could mash and get uneven, i usually freeze the bottom one first and then add the next one on top of that one so i will have more room to store them

CakeDiva73 Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:49pm
post #4 of 10

Ok, thanks for the tips! I appreciate it. I think I will start baking now and freeze until Thursday, let them defrost in their wrapping and then assemble and decorate friday, they can fridge overnight for delivery on Sat....

Can you do half butter and half crisco in a SMBC? I know it won't be traditional but in this heat, I need a little stability. Unless I just go with the other frosting that isn't as smooth? icon_rolleyes.gif

KoryAK Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 10

yes you can. i made it all crisco once for a dairy allergy.

CakeDiva73 Posted 12 May 2008 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

yes you can. i made it all crisco once for a dairy allergy.

How was it? Do you feel it was too greasy?

KoryAK Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:50pm
post #7 of 10

Well, it doesn't taste like butter icon_smile.gif But it really wasn't too bad.

Cascades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cascades Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:47pm
post #8 of 10

Cake Diva,

This is really funny, because I was just going to submit a post also about this very topic. I live in the Central Valley too and this weekend is supposed to get to about 100 degrees.

I have two cakes on Saturday. One is a three tiered fondant and the other is a three tiered buttercream with two side cakes. Because I work in the day, I am definately going to have to bake Wednesday. I am also thinking I should put together one cake on Thursday and the other on Friday. I just don't know if the one all put together will be o.k. for Saturday. And I don't know which would be better to do last the Fondant or the Buttercream. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Good Luck Cake Diva. I will be thinking of you!

Cascades

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 May 2008 , 11:31pm
post #9 of 10

No BC is going to hold up in that sort of heat.. that is if it's left outside.. are the venues going to be air conditioned?? If so whatever you use should be fine. I have had SMBC hold up in the high 80's before.. I'm sure it would last the trip to the venue in an a/c'd car. If you must though.. do 1/2 butter 1/2 high ratio shortening.. I know people do it and it works. I'd be afraid of the flavor, but with a good vanilla and maybe a tiny bit of butter flavor I bet it'd be more than fine. icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 15 May 2008 , 7:14pm
post #10 of 10

And good lord make sure that baby is transported cold!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%