?s On Details For Using A Simple Syrup

Decorating By snowshoe1 Updated 12 May 2008 , 2:32pm by jessfmaldonado

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 6

I've read many posts where some of you brush your cakes with a simple syrup for moistness. I tried this, and being a novice baker I must have done it wrong as the cake top just turned mushy. If you know the following please give some advice:

- do you torte the cake and brush the syrup on the top, bottom and sides of all layers; or do you assemble with the filling and only brush the top and sides

- about how much would you use for an 8" round. I used a ratio of 1 cup water to 1 cup sugar (with a tsp almond extract) and maybe this was too much (?)

- what kind of a brush do you use. I started with a bristle pastry brush and the syrup was sticky so I was picking hairs off of the cake and switched over to a plastic bristle brush

TIA for any replies!

5 replies
jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 6

I always add simple syrup to my cakes. I add it to the tops of the cake. However I freeze my cakes for a bit before torting so when I add the syrup it soaks right into the cake. It Doesnt make it mushy. The freezing stablilizes the cake so it can handle the syrup better. I use the 1-1 ratio, but I add in a lot more flavoring. I use either vanilla, rum, mmmmm, or vanilla beans. I use a silicone pastry brush and brush on until I see all parts darker from the syrup and see that it is soaking through. I hope this helps you!!

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 6

Good question! I have been wondering the same thing! Although I haven't been brave enough to try this method yet icon_smile.gif

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, jessfmaldonado - great advice. I guess I kept going past the point of seeing the cake get a little darker and I'll try the freezing next time. The vanilla beans sound yummy - do you split these then heat with the syrup?

thanks again!

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #5 of 6

Yeah if your going to use Vanilla Beans add the whole bean to the Syrup while its cooking.
I usually fridge the cake then add the syrup with a Pastry Brush.

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:32pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoe1

Thanks, jessfmaldonado - great advice. I guess I kept going past the point of seeing the cake get a little darker and I'll try the freezing next time. The vanilla beans sound yummy - do you split these then heat with the syrup?

thanks again!

Your very welcome! Yes, I split the bean then put it in to cook with the syrup. With the other flavorings I wait to the last second before I use the syrup. I say keep experimenting with the syrup until you find the amount that you like. I did that at first with small cakes, and paid attention to the look of the cake, then tried it. I find that the amount I use with it turning darker is about going around twice on each part with the syrup. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%