Help!! How Do I Make Navy Blue??

Decorating By cuteums Updated 12 May 2008 , 10:59pm by cuteums

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:51am
post #1 of 5

I want to make a dark navy blue for my royal icing and i don't know how to get it dark. I started with royal blue and black wilton paste, and then i remembered I had navy blue americolor. It says it's paste but it is really a liquid. Anyway, I added a bunch of that and now I have a colonial blue. No where near navy. What can I do to it? I have other lighter shades of blue and purple but I don't know what combination to use. I'd like to do this tonight so they can dry for tomorrow. Thanks.

4 replies
cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:19am
post #2 of 5

I had to make Navy Blue for a Dallas Cowboy cake,(in my pics).
I used Navy Blue from Chefmaster and added Black a ittle at a time.

It takes time for the icing to darken, just take your time when adding color.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:38am
post #3 of 5

I just did some baseball caps for a wedding last weekend. I used a lot of Americolor Royal Blue and added a little bit a black at a time. Just take your time and it will change...let it sit too...and it will darken up.

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:59am
post #4 of 5

letting it sit is a big thing -esp since w/ too much coloring it will change the texture of the icing

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks. I ended up with not quite navy but it was a dark blue. My royal icing did thin out a bit which was ok, (I was piping letters) but I can't make flowers with it. Next time I will color it as I make it so instead of adding liquid I will be adding color. Live and learn. Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%