My Cake Fondant Collapse!!

Decorating By lomikesa Updated 21 May 2008 , 2:43am by ANicole

lomikesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lomikesa Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 16

My sister wanted a cake for her Mother-in-law's birthday for this Sunday, she didn't know what she wanted, I asked her what are her hobbies, all she could tell me "she likes to shop". I decided to make a shopping bag cake. Her favorite store is Macy's so I decided to make the Macy's shopping bag.

Everything when fine, I had a little trouble gluing the sides of the cake, but finally they where fine, the cake was sturdy, I went to bed at 1:00am, and in the morning DH and my sons bring me breakfast in bed (being that is mother's day, it is the only day I get spoiled, except if I am sick ), they give their presents, but I notice they look kind of weird and not talking much, which is unusual. So, I asked "what's going on? did you burn the kitchen or something? they tell me, "Mom, don't get mad, we didn't do anything we swear! My husband also "It wasn't me either", for some reason I new they where talking about the cake, so I just got up and went to see, and there it was, the cake just fell apart, and I had just told my sister on the phone that the cake was ready for her to pick up.

Well, I just had to call her back and tell her what happen, thank God I had pictures to show her. Anyway, I just took all of the fondant off, and redid the cake, it is a good thing I always have plenty of flowers for emergencies.

My sister was happy with the new cake design and so am I, I was able to enjoy the rest of my Mother's day celebration.

This the final cake
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1219837&done=1
LL
LL

15 replies
mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 16

Wow that is a real bummer! But the other cake is beautiful too!
Jen...

kayla1505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kayla1505 Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 16

wow i saw the finished cake , nice save icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 16

oh that stinks, but you pulled off another beautiful cake and no one would ever now what happened. Great job.

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 16

What a beautiful save. Good Job!!!!!!

Afarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Afarren Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 16

Beautiful save, I would have criedicon_sad.gif

lomikesa Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:04am
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afarren

I did!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:10am
post #8 of 16

Wow both cakes are beautiful. Great save. Any ideas why it collapsed? It looks like the cake was in tact.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:17am
post #9 of 16

ok first... i am SO sorry it collapsed, it was a cute bag.

second, the save... AWESOME.. i love the flowers.

third, do you think maybe the fondant came of b/c the top wasn't really supported?

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:18am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afarren

I was thinking the same thing! icon_cry.gif
Great save though, good job! icon_biggrin.gif

lomikesa Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:39am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflywings

ok first... i am SO sorry it collapsed, it was a cute bag.

second, the save... AWESOME.. i love the flowers.

third, do you think maybe the fondant came of b/c the top wasn't really
supported?

I tend to agree, there was 2" there not supported, but I had put a cardboard frame all around for like 4hrs until it was stiff enough, I remove them fearing they would get stuck, bad decision.

I will experiment further, as I did like the way the bag look while it lasted.

Lomikesa

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:44am
post #12 of 16

Beautiful save! You should be really proud of yourself for being able to lemonade out of lemons!! thumbs_up.gif

Kortni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kortni Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:59am
post #13 of 16

The original cake looked great and i'm not sure what I would have recovered as well as you did! Congratulations on making the second cake look just as beautiful as the first!

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:02am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomikesa

I tend to agree, there was 2" there not supported, but I had put a cardboard frame all around for like 4hrs until it was stiff enough, I remove them fearing they would get stuck, bad decision.

Both cakes looked fantastic. thumbs_up.gif

I wonder if the "bag fondant" would have held up if you had first covered the cake in white fondant (allowing it to dry for a while) and then wrapped it in red (and gluing it to the side)?

Just a thought,
Debbie

CCbB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCbB Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:14am
post #15 of 16

I've had this happen to me also... best way to glue fondant together is by using royal icing...instead of water...my gosh I would had freaked out... but you did such a beautiful job with both cakes... good job with moving on to plan B.

ANicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ANicole Posted 21 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #16 of 16

Both cakes are great, and you did a GREAT SAVE. But I want to cry for you. That Macy's cake was SOOOOOOOOO great. Do you think if you would've used the royal icing, like the previous poster suggested, that this wouldn't have happened? I would love to try making a cake like yours...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%