Cherry Hill Nj, Philadelphia - What Is The Area Like......

Lounge By xstitcher Updated 14 May 2008 , 12:34pm by xstitcher

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 11 May 2008 , 9:56am
post #1 of 14

Hi Everyone,

My DH just got a job offer late Friday afternoon in Cherry Hill NJ. As neither of us have been to NJ I was wondering what it was like. We have previously lived in Minneapolis Mn, Raleigh NC, Auburn Al and Houston TX. We love the States and have been trying to get back there for a while now.
I have visited quite a few other states but have never been to NJ or Philadelphia. From what I understand Cherry Hill is near to Philadelphia and I was wondering if anyone here lives near those areas and could let me know what it's like, what's the best place for young kids etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated. My DH will be giving them his answer at the beginning of this week.

Thanks and have a great weekend.. icon_smile.gif

13 replies
SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 11 May 2008 , 11:39am
post #2 of 14

I live in Cherry Hill, NJ! It's a wonderful area! Minutes from downtown Philadelphia, tons of commerce, great neighborhoods and an absolutely
top notch school district. It's very diverse and IMO, a wonderful place to live. Taxes are a little high, but our taxes pay for our municipal services, and the results are evident all around the township.
I'd be more than happy to answer any question you might have about specific areas, so feel free to PM me anytime!

Sharon

xstitcher Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:40am
post #3 of 14

Thanks Sharon!

I'll probably take you up on that! I'm hoping that my DH will get a chance to go down there 1st for a house hunting trip before we all follow because it's so hard to figure out what would be a good area to live in just from pictures of the rentals on-line!
icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 12 May 2008 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 14

I visited that area, once, about 13 years ago and it seemed very pleasant. Sorry I don't have any more info to offer. I was just there for a cat show.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 14

You should look at Moorestown, NJ too. It was voted the best town in America in which to live a few years back. Bucks County, PA is nice, too. My dh owns his own co. in center city Philadelphia and we live in PA. Although I loved living in NJ.

xstitcher Posted 13 May 2008 , 4:13am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellenj

You should look at Moorestown, NJ too. It was voted the best town in America in which to live a few years back. Bucks County, PA is nice, too. My dh owns his own co. in center city Philadelphia and we live in PA. Although I loved living in NJ.

Thanks Michellenj!

I see that Moorestown in only a few miles away according to mapquest so that might be really good. My DH just accepted the offer late today so we will be moving for sure. I have 2 weeks to tie up loose ends here, pack, either get a moving co. to move us or get a u-haul, find a place to live, try to get my place rented for the time being as I can't do all of the above and try to sell the house this fast. My head is spinning! I don't know where to start. I'm going to do some searches for rentals on-line but I'm hesitant to agree to a rental place from here as I've never been there before and don't know what the area's are like! I don't know if it's feisable with 4 kids and 2 dogs to stay in a hotel before finding a rental.....my head just won't stop spinning.....

I want to thank everyone for helping me!

Cheers for now! icon_biggrin.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:54am
post #7 of 14

Congratulations! Welcome to The Garden State!!

Wish I was closer. I'm about an hour and a half away from Cherry Hill! Oh, don't forget the most important thing of all once you move and before you find a place to live and get your children and pets settled.......you have to join the NJ Cake Decorators Club! lol icon_lol.gif

Seriously, I wish you all the best in this major change for you and your family!

xstitcher Posted 13 May 2008 , 7:04am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Congratulations! Welcome to The Garden State!!

Wish I was closer. I'm about an hour and a half away from Cherry Hill! Oh, don't forget the most important thing of all once you move and before you find a place to live and get your children and pets settled.......you have to join the NJ Cake Decorators Club! lol icon_lol.gif

Seriously, I wish you all the best in this major change for you and your family!

Thanks for the welcome Grace!!!! Where do I sign up icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:04am
post #9 of 14

You're welcome.

Meetup.com is where the club info and signup is at. Again, it's the NJ Cake Decorator's Club. Hope to "see" you there when you're all settled in at your new location.

xstitcher Posted 13 May 2008 , 10:10am
post #10 of 14

I'll look forward to it!

I'm off to bed, goodnight!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:17pm
post #11 of 14

You will love it there. You will be relatively close to the beach, the mountains, New York, and NJ has awesome shopping and restaurants. I really miss the variety that NJ offers. Good luck!

xstitcher Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:10am
post #12 of 14

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping I could ask for some more input from you all. I'm trying to find a place to live without being there in person and I have found a couple through the internet. One landlord is going to be calling me back shortly and I was hoping I could wrap things up with him but seeing as I don't know what the area is like I was hoping someone here does. The place I'm looking to rent for is located on Irving Ave in Pennsauken NJ. Thanks all!! icon_biggrin.gif

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:01pm
post #13 of 14

I grew up in Mt. Laurel, which is right in the same area. Although I haven't lived there in a few years (lived in Bucks County for a while - that would be a hellish commute to Cherry Hill - and now in MD), I go back regularly.

You have to be really careful with Pennsauken - some areas are really nice; others, not so much. It butts up against the city of Camden, which is a very very poor city so you have "unsavory" elements there. Other towns to look at that are a little less expensive than Cherry Hill but probably a little more consistent than Pennsauken would be Cinnaminson and Delran.

xstitcher Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:34pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks Sue,

I hope you don't mind but I just PM'ed you with a couple more questions.

Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%