I Think I've Become A "cake Snob"... :cry:

Decorating By kansaswolf Updated 12 May 2008 , 4:10pm by mbelgard

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:43pm
post #31 of 57

Oooh ooh oooh!!! I'll take some margs!! mmmmmmm

I agree.. it's not really snobbery.. it's just knowing a good thing when you see it/taste it. icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:47pm
post #32 of 57

Come one! Come All! Don't be ashamed, be proud! We are a community who cares (or doesn't care--depending on how you look at it) icon_wink.gif

I'll take a shot of 1/3 amaretto 1/3 baileys and 1/3 kahlua, shaken on the rocks then poured please. (this coming from someone who doesn't drink anymore)

Indy-I knew I wasn't the only one sick of eating cakes on here!

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #33 of 57

Hey, I have one for you. My daughter's call themselves cake snobs and won't eat any cake unless my mom or I mAKE IT. I even had to make the food and both cakes for my oldest daughter's wedding!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #34 of 57

Ohhhhhhhh man!! I want an amaretto stone sour! I know, I know, I can't drink one right now, but in Snobtown I'm not reeeeally pregnant... so I can have one or two... or six. icon_lol.gif

That fondant sounds marvelous... thank you for sharing the recipe! I can't wait to try it!

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #35 of 57

Everyones drinks are ready!! Don't forget to tip the bartender icon_razz.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:17pm
post #36 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

Everyones drinks are ready!! Don't forget to tip the bartender icon_razz.gif

After a couple of those drinks I think she'll tip herself... right onto the floor! Hehehe.

dee-lite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dee-lite Posted 11 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #37 of 57

Ok -so I have been so busy trying to learn how to decorate I have not evolved to anything beyond using butter flavoring and vanilla or almond in the basic wilton recipe and after I have read this I really would love suggestions on flavorings for icing...I don't use fondant so the icing would have to be usable for all buttercream cakes . Ihave read about using coffee creamer do you just sub this in for the milk? Help me "evolve".

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 11 May 2008 , 9:14pm
post #38 of 57

Im proud to say not only am I a cake snob but my husband and kids are to ! Anytime they eat ( any ) dessert they just look at me and say MOM THIS IS CRAP!!!! Im like SHHHHHHHHH!!!! My kids dont care who hears them! They say this is awefull its dry like cardborad ! ( my kids are all adults to ) LOL!!! HEY What can I say !!!! MOM taught them to only want the best !!! MINE !!!!! I LOVE MY Family !

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 11 May 2008 , 9:19pm
post #39 of 57

Strawberry KoolAid, I'm assuming?? I'll have to have a few packs sent in my next care package from home!

CNCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CNCS Posted 11 May 2008 , 9:51pm
post #40 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

Wow! I feel better already, being in such distinguished company! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for all the nice comments! I agree about the diet thing, I'll just "save up my calories" for something melt-in-your-mouth! Hee hee hee...

Oh, my cream cheese fondant recipe is here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-586285-.html

And for my filling, I used 2 cups whipped cream, 1 cup powdered sugar, 8 oz cream cheese, 1/2 tsp unsweetened koolade mix, and sliced up fresh strawberries in it... Mix the cream cheese with the powdered sugar and koolade, then fold in the whipped cream. You could dice the strawberries INTO the mix, or slice them on top... SOOOO fluffy good!

So what cake batter do you prepare to go with this?

Is it one of the doctored cakes mixes?

If I had time I'd make it for dessert, but I've been in front of the tv today no time left.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:07am
post #41 of 57

Hahahahaha....I made my friend a chocolate mousse pie like the one in my pictures, and APOLOGIZED because I used Famous Chocolate Wafers for the cookie crust instead of making my own chocolate cookies to grind up.

There's truly SOMETHING wrong with me.

(I'm still on a sugar high from a key lime meringue pie that I made for my Mom for Mothers Day) (That I used pre-made graham crackers to make the crust) (But I squeezed the key limes myself)

Yeah. There's something wrong with me.

I don't much like OPB (other people's baking)

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:54am
post #42 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

Strawberry KoolAid, I'm assuming?? I'll have to have a few packs sent in my next care package from home!

I was actually out of the strawberry koolaid that was called for, so I used Cherry... It was SOOOO good anyway!

And it was just a regular white cake mix... I haven't done doctored cake mixes yet, as I've only recently heard of them! I *WILL* try them, and from what I hear, it'll be much better! Like I think I mentioned, this was a test cake to see if it was worth doing again, and I guess it is! icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:27am
post #43 of 57

I'll grab a Margarita too!... icon_lol.gif
I wonder all of us in a room with cake what would happen!.. icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.giftapedshut.gif

I wanna sit down and watch! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

chutzpah Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:29am
post #44 of 57

OPB - Other People's Baking

LOLOL

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:21pm
post #45 of 57

My poor husband wanted to take me out for a nice lunch at a local place "known" for desserts. I tried the 7-layer chocolate cake, and sat there the whole time crumbling it with my fork. Cut too long...dry edges...uneven icing layers...poor quality chocolate...at least 4 days old...

Hmmm....don't think I'll get taken out to lunch anytime soon (actually no...he agreed with me, and couldn't eat it either). icon_rolleyes.gif

What's up with OPB? icon_confused.gif (Great phrase, Her Bourdoir!)

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:25pm
post #46 of 57

LOL Thank you thank you....

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:36pm
post #47 of 57

Better count me in on this too!! I even look at other decorators cakes and find fault icon_redface.gif An acquaintance got married last year and when I seen her cake I cried!! What's up with that?!? I felt really bad for her!! Guess that makes me Super Snob!!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:37pm
post #48 of 57

Guilty as charged. icon_redface.gif

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:56pm
post #49 of 57

Add me to the Snobtown list! My SIL made a cake for mother's day yesterday b/c I didn't make one and I didn't even touch it! HAHAHAHA! What she didn't know though is that I did make one, just didn't bring it to share! LOL

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:07pm
post #50 of 57

Count me in too...I offer a shortening icing recipe and SMBC...and I cringe when people order shortening based!! I think my recipe tastes pretty good...but, BLECH...I cannot stand to eat it...If I make a cake for myself you better believe I use SMBC, Ganache...but, most people do not want to pay for it so....they just miss out on the good stuff!! Oh well, more for me I say!!!

I even had an offer on my website that people could try my premium icings for free in April....nobody took me up on it!! LOL

Some people just don't know what they are missing!!

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:31pm
post #51 of 57

well everyone, just read all the posts. I may have to immigrate to south of the border. I recently reach the ranks of snobbery. Went on a training course and they had what looked like a good chocolate cake. love chocolate anything. It had the most awful taste. Everyone kept saying how delicious it was. It was all I could do to swallow the first bite and last.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:41pm
post #52 of 57

Iâm cake snob and Iâm proud of it.

Actually Iâve requested my b/f to refer to me as âcake designerâ no âcake makerâ.
Hmm, icon_rolleyes.gif I should demand him to call me âMasterâ ha ha ha! icon_biggrin.gif

cheferyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:10pm
post #53 of 57

You guys are so funny. I was afraid I was the only one who was a snob. I thought I was being prideful but I know good cake when I see it. No walmart cake for me or mine.icon_smile.gif.

chutzpah Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:13pm
post #54 of 57

*shooka shooka shooka*

*lines up glasses on the bar and pours*

Okay gang, chocolatinis for everyone!!

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:35pm
post #55 of 57

OMG. Soooo glad I'm not the only one.

I came across a post on a different board from a local cake place claiming to be the "Ace of Cakes" for our area. I can't see how you could even say you are unless you are TRULY up that level. I wouldn't go around saying "I'm the next Colette Peters!!!"....unless I was totally on that level. But I looked at the website and was shocked. The cakes look just like supermarket cakes. And pricing starts at like $1.00 per serving where most the big bakeries in town are $2.50+. Just yikes. I couldn't believe it. '

I guess I'm a member of Cake Snobville! Do we have monthly meetings??? icon_biggrin.gif

deijha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deijha Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #56 of 57

I guess I fall into this rank too. Last weekend I was with my friend out shopping her son was graduating from College the next day and they were just having a small family get together. But we walked past a freezer section and said "oh look they have decorated cakes." I must have gotten a horrified look on my face and said "don't you dare" she just cracked up laughing. I made her a little 8 inch White raspberry with raspberry filling for the next day.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:10pm
post #57 of 57

I'm a snob about baked goods and I've turned my oldest child into one too. If I want to horrify him I threaten to buy premade cupcakes or premade cookie dough. He doesn't like the store cakes at all and says that I'm way better. The only store cookies he'll eat are Oreos and some of the keebler fudge cookies and he's only 9.

I haven't been making many cakes because we're sick of them, it's just a hobby for me so what I make is normally for home.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%