Finally Done ... My First C. Peters Inspired Cake! (Long)

Decorating By indydebi Updated 14 May 2008 , 1:44pm by MissRobin

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:35am
post #1 of 34

Some of you may remember when I confessed I had no idea the picture the bride brought to me was a C. Peters cake ... and if I had known that I may have been intimidated against doing it.

And even tho' it fell due on what has become my busiest weekend ever, I like how it turned out and I'm so glad I made it!

It was inspired by Ms. Peters skyline cake. The bride is an engineer and I give her so much credit for the design of the cake. The template she made for me REALLY saved me some time and headache!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1219555&done=1

I just didnt' have the time I really wanted to spend on this cake, so I was really stressing it! I pretty much made it all the day before the wedding. I did manage to get half of it baked and frozen, but here I am on Thursday night, after finishing my 5-day fraternity job that morning, baking half of a 7-tier cake and wanting to finish it that night.
Well, that didn't happen. icon_sad.gif

I did manage to get all 7 cakes iced before I finally went home at 1:00 a.m. 7 tiers with 4 different flavors (I'm gonna have to re-think my "no charge for add'l flavors" policy!) Came back at 8:00 a.m. and started melting chocolate (I have to deliver this sucker at 5:00 p.m. and I'm just now melting chocolate!).

The hardest part was remembering to turn the templates over when I cut them out ... the underside was the perfectly flat side of chocolate, so I needed to use that. The bride had made each side with a "Slot A meets Slot B" type of design, so I had to code the templates, then code the cut outs so I'd be sure to line them up correctly.

I put no-skid material between the glass blocks thats supporting the tiered cake, and between the cake and the top block. Bride suggested to me to use white material. I had purple and orange at the shop and she said the colors would REALLY show thru the glass. I had no idea, but she was so right! I couldn't find white no-skid (the price you pay for waiting till the last minute!) but I did find a bright green that was going to match her decor. So the color blending thru ended up working really well!

The reception was at the Indpls Children's Museum, which is the #1 rated and largest children's museum in the country. There is a 3-story tall water clock in the lobby. (pic and info at this link ... scroll down .... it's VERY cool to watch! http://www.childrensmuseum.org/themuseum/icons/index.htm ). The green flowers were inspired by the green neon color of this clock. I took a distance photo of the cake with the clock in the backgroun ... it's on my flickr site if you're interested.

Once I got it done, I was so happy with it. The bride called on Saturday to tell me how everyone raved over it. I've gotten emails from brides before, after they come back from their honeymoon, but I think this is the first phone call the day after the wedding to tell me about the cake! Well worth the tired muscles and lack of sleep!

However .... this becomes the first cake that I will be adding a "premium design fee". My cakes are a flat fee, regardless of design. The amount of chocolate for this cake is a factor and I spent about 3+ hours doing the melting, pouring, cutting out stuff. And the cost of the glass blocks....and the Advil!! icon_biggrin.gif

Just had to share the details with people who would appreciate the stress and the challenge!

33 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:47am
post #2 of 34

indydebi....It is really stunning! I love the chocolate skylines, you did a fabulous job on those! That alone would have taken me a month to do!

Her flowers really topped off this design and make it very classy. This will be a huge hit on CC I'm sure!

And BTW I keep hearing about Ms. Peters and although I'm sure she is the bomb.............she ain't got nuthin on you girl! icon_wink.gif

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:11am
post #3 of 34

Wow! Well done you! Very 'original modern' looking! thumbs_up.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:31am
post #4 of 34

Thanks for sharing, Indy! Your cake came out fantastically! Looks amazing! Very pleasing to the eye......and, I'm sure, to the taste buds as well. icon_wink.gif

cakeflake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:36am
post #5 of 34

nice! I love the color of the green and it looks so good pared w/the dark chocolate. I myself, love trying Collette Peters designs. They're so fun and have such wide appeal. I'll bet she got a lot of compliments on this.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 11 May 2008 , 8:03am
post #6 of 34

No wonder the cake was a hit ! And the bride was very happy with it as well, imagine calling you the day after the wedding to tell you about it.It really is a beautiful and outstanding architectural themed wedding cake.
Well deserved CONGRATULATIONS!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 May 2008 , 10:05am
post #7 of 34

Very cool awesome icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

pamconn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pamconn Posted 11 May 2008 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 34

Well done! The cakes really look great!

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:09am
post #9 of 34

Holy Smokes! That is a cool cake! I would have never thought that buildings could be worked into a wedding cake. Bravo!

Katied75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katied75 Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:19am
post #10 of 34

Very cool! I love it!

Katie

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:31am
post #11 of 34

You deserve all the congratulations, It is wonderful.

You are very talented Debi.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:36am
post #12 of 34

WOW,THAT IS GORGEOUS, I LOVE THE GREEN MY FAVORITE COLOR. GREAT JOB!

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:41am
post #13 of 34

That is a gorgeous cake. You did a wonderful job, not that I would have ever doubted it for a minute!

kellieschwabl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellieschwabl Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:43am
post #14 of 34

Congratulations! Stunning!

pjmw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmw Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:01am
post #15 of 34

It's definitely worth an up-charge for design! Great job Debi!!

Paula

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:06am
post #16 of 34

Debbi- That cake is stunning! I had looked at the photo earlier and admired it, but I didn't even notice that it was yours. This one really moved out of the standard comfort zone. It definitly merits the "premium design fee".

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:05pm
post #17 of 34

wow!!!!! just wow!! And did you temper all that chocolate?? stunning!!!

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:30pm
post #18 of 34

What a beautiful and original cake. Very well done!!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:47pm
post #19 of 34

Way to go! Very nice job - now go get some rest icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:07pm
post #20 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

wow!!!!! just wow!! And did you temper all that chocolate?? stunning!!!

You know .... I'm not really sure what tempering is. I've read and read and read about it, and all I can get out of it is "melt the chocolate and let it get hard again." icon_confused.gif

I bought the dark chocolate disks from my local cake supply store, melted it and poured it into one of my 18x26 baking sheets (on parchment). Let it set then cut out the templates.

Quick story ..... I took an icing bag with the #5 tip in case of any border repair work. I use disposable bags and I had cut the bag too short when I put the coupler in. So I'm fixing some border and when I squeeze the bag, the whole coupler pops out! Holy crap, what do I do now?? Well, I stuffed the end of the coupler with icing and with my (gloved) finger, push the icing thru the tip to fix the borders! icon_lol.gif What a sight that was!!

But it worked! thumbs_up.gif

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 12 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #21 of 34

Wow, I can just see you stuffing icing through the end of a #5 tip icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:25am
post #22 of 34

wow that cake is soooo cool. it's so modern, definitely different from your other cakes. i admire you for trying "something new and different" and really going all out for your bride. i've said it once, i'll say it again, whoever hires you (or any CC'er for that matter) is really lucky because the effort you put into a cake is tremendous and inspiring. icon_biggrin.gif

woodthi32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodthi32 Posted 13 May 2008 , 11:41am
post #23 of 34

wow, debi! You get the grace under pressure award from me!! And the carving chocolate into a skyline award!!
I have not really taken a lot of time trying, but I have only been able to temper chocolate twice and tried several times with different methods. You melt it, and then, I can't remember very well, but you cool it to a temp just below body temp. It is tempered when it cools shiny and hard and snaps, like good chocolate, when you break it, something about the fat molecules not separating. Anyway, hearing me descibe it, it's not wonder my success has been so seldom!! It's been a long time.
But, after seeing your skyline, I will have to try tempering a lot less than I thought I would. Did you use meltable "wafers" similiar to Wilton? Or regular chocolate?

norma20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
norma20 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:12pm
post #24 of 34

Wow Debi, everything you say or do is worth to be followed!!!

indydebi Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodthi32

Did you use meltable "wafers" similiar to Wilton? Or regular chocolate?

Yes, I used the 'wafer' type disks (my cake supply shops bags them up in 5 and 10 lb bags.)

indydebi Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:08pm
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakeshoppe

wow that cake is soooo cool. it's so modern, definitely different from your other cakes. i admire you for trying "something new and different" and really going all out for your bride.

I've mentioned it a number of times, but yet not near often enough ..... I would NEVER have tried as many new things as i've tried in the past year or so if it wasn't for finding CC and all of you folks! Thanks for practically forcing me out of that box I was in! I am living proof that you CAN teach that old dog new tricks! This is MUCH more fun! thumbs_up.gif

jnet72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnet72 Posted 13 May 2008 , 5:47pm
post #27 of 34

Great Job! That cake is stunning!!

NayNay2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NayNay2 Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:11pm
post #28 of 34

WOW you did a great job on that cake!

NayNay2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NayNay2 Posted 13 May 2008 , 6:11pm
post #29 of 34

WOW you did a great job on that cake!