What Is Happening To My Wedding Cake?

Decorating By Jessica1817 Updated 12 May 2008 , 3:41am by Kortni

Jessica1817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica1817 Posted 11 May 2008 , 4:35am
post #1 of 4

I'm working on a 3 tier wedding cake covered in fondant and all is going well except the top tier. I just stacked them and noticed the sides and top of the top tier is sticky icon_confused.gif The other tiers are fine; I have never seen this before. Could the buttercream be seeping through the fondant? I'm using Satin Ice, and I don't think the layer of buttercream is any different on the top than the other 2 tiers. Any ideas? I'm a little worried about this cake......

3 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:01am
post #2 of 4

Is it cold at all?? Or is the fondant really thin on that side? What do you have in there for a filling?

If it's cold it could be condensation, if the fondant is thin it could be the BC coming through, and if you have a thin (in constistency) filling it could be coming though.

Your best bet might be to take off the fondant and investigate what's going on. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 11 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 4

jkalman is right. When that happens to me it's usually just condensation from the cold buttercream under the fondant. Humidity can also do that to the fondant, when that happens, I just let it sit for a while in an air-conditioned room and it just dries up. I have on occasion covered the cake a second time with fondant and that helps too.

HTH
Vicky.

Kortni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kortni Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:41am
post #4 of 4

I agree, if condensation forms, the fondant will become sticky. If you let it sit out, it should evaporate. If you haven't decorated the tiers yet, you could always dust them with powdered sugar and the sugar will soak up most of the moisture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%