Chocolate Cake From White Cake Mix???

Decorating By LovelyCreations Updated 10 May 2008 , 3:15pm by LovelyCreations

LovelyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCreations Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 3

Hello!

Okay...so I'm being lazy icon_redface.gif and REALLY don't feel like to running to the store just for chocolate cake mix. Does anyone know of a recipe where I can use a white cake box mix and either cocoa powder or the unsweetened chocolate pieces? I've looked at the recipe on CC for this, and although it sounds like a really great recipe, I don't have the chocolate pudding, Hershey's bars or the instant coffee granules it requires. icon_cry.gif

This forum is my only salvation for not wasting my $3.72 per gallon gas. icon_rolleyes.gif

Please help.

2 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #2 of 3

I don't have a recipe since I come from the "Memaw Polly School of Cooking". If you think it will work....TRY IT! LOL

If you use the unsweetened chocolate pieces I'd cut back on the oil or leave it out entirely as it would replace the fat in the cake mix. If you use cocoa powder I'd probably add a little extra water so your dry to wet ratio will be the same.

Personally, I don't think there is any way you can mess up a box cake mix. THAT'S WHY USE THEM ALL THE TIME! I've added fruit, pudding, juice, coffee, coffee creamer, canned pumpkin, nuts...whatever I could think of. So far, it all came out great and trust me I'm not THAT good a baker. I can only do three scratch cakes that are worth eating; Italian Cream; Red Velvet and Applesauce and I only bake these once a year during the holidays! LOL

GOOD LUCK! Let us know how it turns out!

Beth

LovelyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovelyCreations Posted 10 May 2008 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 3

LOL! thanks so much Beth. I'll give it a shot!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%