Red Mmf! How Do You Get It?

Decorating By 4starcakes Updated 10 May 2008 , 5:07pm by 4Gifts4Lisa

4starcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4starcakes Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:15am
post #1 of 10

What is the trick to getting truly red MMF?

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:19am
post #2 of 10

Like any other icing it takes lots of gel color; lots of time to develop and lots of patients(sp?)!
Start w/a deep pink; orange or yellow depending on the tone of red you want. That will help keep down the amount of gel you need.
Remember, fondant dries one shade lighter. This is the opposite of b'cream.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:30am
post #3 of 10

Americolor Red gel...it is the BEST and makes stuff super RED, and no horrible taste like the Wilton Paste. I know you can get it through Global Sugar Art, and I have also seen it on ebay. Good luck! Hope this helps!

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:30am
post #4 of 10

I use Americolor super red. It doesn't take as much as Wiltons. I also color dark colors the day before. The color deepens as it sits.

cakelady11215 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady11215 Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:34am
post #5 of 10

onebigdogmama posted this in response to my post about red BC, maybe it works for fondant too? http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-357113-red.html+duff

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:09am
post #6 of 10

Color your melted marshmallows before adding the PS. It takes a lot less color and is a lot easier on your hands instead of kneading everything

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:08am
post #7 of 10

Satin Ice also makes premade/precolored red fondant too if you don't feel like bothering with the coloring...

lchristi27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchristi27 Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:30am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Color your melted marshmallows before adding the PS. It takes a lot less color and is a lot easier on your hands instead of kneading everything

Ditto! Also if you can find them, the strawberry marshmallows give a great start to the red, and they taste AWESOME in MMF. You can see in my pictures the red fondant.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 10 May 2008 , 4:34am
post #9 of 10

i use to add colour to my fondant but it affects the taste and can be quite sickly now i airbrush red, black etc... but i will say the powder concentrate is really good...

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 10 May 2008 , 5:07pm
post #10 of 10

Satin Ice...LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%