"best" Filling For Wasc?

Decorating By johnson6ofus Updated 17 May 2008 , 2:03pm by JodieF

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 16

Sorry- repost, but the recipe forum seemde to be "limited" in action, so I'm reposting here.....

OK... gonna try the WASC cake here for the first time, and want YOUR recommendation on the best filling and/ or syrup soak (if you use it). Lots of experience, just not with WASC.

What is your favorite/ most requested / most raved about filling with WASC cake?

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:10am
post #2 of 16

You won't need a syrup soak for that cake! It's plenty moist and sooooo tasty w/o.
This is such a generic tasting cake....think super moist white cake.
I'm definately a chocoholic so I'd go w/fudge fill.
Other ideas: apricot; raspberry; or lemon.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:22am
post #3 of 16

A more difficult question would be, "What DOESN'T go with WASC?" icon_smile.gif

My personal favs are raspberry or strawberry sleeved pastry filling over a thin layer of easy & tasty cream cheese filling, frosted with whipped cream (and cream cheese) frosting.

Heaven on a plate. thumbs_up.gif

Easy & Tasty cream cheese filling:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2743-Easy-and-tasty-cream-cheese-filling.html

Whipped Cream frosting:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-901-Whipped-Cream-Frosting.html

HTH

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:29am
post #4 of 16
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:04am
post #5 of 16

One of the most requested fillings for my chocolate version is chocolate truffle filling. It makes a ton so I have enough to fill several cakes AND let the family have some for ice cream or over fruit icon_smile.gif

I also use homemade strawberry preserves in my WASC (without the almond extract, just vanilla), which is also a big hit.

HTH's icon_smile.gif

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:11am
post #6 of 16

thanks, thanks, thanks.... i can't wait to try it! Maybe half and half on the first one....

summerolivia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summerolivia Posted 13 May 2008 , 1:45am
post #7 of 16

wgoat5 - would mind sharing your chocolate truffle filling? I would love to try it!

wgoat5 Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:50am
post #8 of 16

Chocolate truffle filling:

3 3/4 cups (31 oz.) granulated sugar
3 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tbsp. light corn syrup
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 pound unsweetened chocolate, chopped (I use Baker's brand)
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
6 oz. semisweet chocolate, chopped (again, I use Baker's brand)
1 tbsp. vanilla extract

Combine first 4 ingredients in heavy 6-quart saucepan or Dutch oven. Stir constantly over high heat until mixture comes to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook without stirring for EXACTLY 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Add remaining ingredients and stir until melted and smooth. Cool. (Can be prepared one day ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)

It's really pretty easy to make. As you can tell from the ingredients, it is both lowfat and low calorie. It is absolutely decadent. After the mixture cools and sets up for about a day, it is a thick, fudgy, spreadable consistency. You can use it as filling or icing, and it's also very yummy on ice cream, over fruit (strawberries, blueberries, cherries, raspberries, etc.), and even just by the spoonful!!!

This recipe makes a lot of filling (I'm not sure of the exact amount), so you can always cut it in half (still cook without stirring for 4 minutes).

To make chocolate truffle buttercream, I just mix some of the filling with my buttercream, and there you go!

Here ya go.. it was shared with me by a CC member (CakesbyJess) a LONG time ago icon_smile.gif

It is sooo good and makes the prettiest chocolate bc ever icon_smile.gif

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 13 May 2008 , 3:31am
post #9 of 16

I like to do a pastry cream or barvarian cream with slice strawberries.

penguinprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
penguinprincess Posted 17 May 2008 , 4:15am
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarvis78

I like to do a pastry cream or barvarian cream with slice strawberries.

Would you mind sgaring your recipr for Barvarian Cream, please?

JudyDP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JudyDP Posted 17 May 2008 , 5:19am
post #11 of 16

Christi.....Thank you so much for the recipe! Gosh....it sounds SO good! thumbs_up.gif I want to make sure I understand....leave it OUT of the refrigerator over night? Do you NEED to make it a day ahead of time for it to be the correct consistancy...ex. "thickening up" ? Would you refrigerate what is left? Do you think that this would freeze very well? I can't wait to try this. It sounds like just what I was looking for. Sorry for the questions, but wouldn't mind having this in the freezer if possible. icon_biggrin.gif

chinadoll652003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chinadoll652003 Posted 17 May 2008 , 5:33am
post #12 of 16

wgoat5- Would the chocolate truffle filling hold up if it wasn't refrigerated?

I have a customer who wants a cake with a chocolate filling, but he wants to pick the cake up two days in advance and won't be able to refrigerate it.

Is there any type of choc. filling that would work if the truffle doesn't?

Thanks for your help.

wgoat5 Posted 17 May 2008 , 8:51am
post #13 of 16

icon_smile.gif

The truffle filling gets thicker as it sits...it gets a fudgy consistancy. To use it as a filling you really need to let it set for at least 5 or 6 hours. Once you put it in the fridge it gets a whole other texture. I do let it sit out over night if I make it like around 6 pm or something.. If I make it early in the day I can use it later on. I REALLY like to mix this in with my bc to make chocolate bc it makes it soo good.

As far as how long to let it sit out. I put it on some sundae cupcakes and I kept them out of the fridge for a day and a 1/2 and they did fine but I don't think I would let it sit out longer then that. Now in the bc I think the sugar kind of stabalized it there for in the bc it was fine sitting out.

I would think you could freeze it. BUT remember it makes a bunch you can definately 1/2 the recipe icon_smile.gif

Have a wonderful day guys

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 17 May 2008 , 9:14am
post #14 of 16

Hi Christi,
That sounds so yum! I've saved it but I couldn't find it in the recipe section to add to my fave's?
Also what ratio of choc truffle to BC do you use for yummiest results? icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 17 May 2008 , 9:18am
post #15 of 16

It's not in the recipe section my friend.. it's not my original recipe so I won't post it there.

Just keep adding to your bc to get the taste you want icon_biggrin.gif ... it is truly decadent!!! My DH sneaks small saucer fuls of this LOL and dips his bananas in it...I literally have to wrap the whole bowl to keep people from dipping into it!!

I hope this helps icon_smile.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 17 May 2008 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 16

Very easy chocolate fudge filling.....melt 2 cups chocolate chips with a can of sweetened condensed milk. Stir until smooth and then let cool until fudge consistency.
Yum!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%