Sugar Glue

Decorating By jessielou Updated 15 May 2008 , 6:39pm by jessielou

jessielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessielou Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 8

I have yet to find a sugar glue that holds dried fondant together very well....I saw a video here on sugar glue made with tylose powder that I wanted to try. anyone know where I can find tylose powder?? I checked hobby lobby, micheals and even a cake supply....no ones has ever even heard of it! TIA

7 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 9 May 2008 , 6:51pm
post #2 of 8

Hmmm, Don't know about tylose powder as I always use egg white and that includes dried fondant.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 8

I use Aine2's edible glue with tylose and water. It works great! Here's a link where you can order some:
http://www.intotheoven.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=tylose&keywords=tylose

That's the brand I use, I found it at my local cake supply store. It is also known as CMC powder.

carolgaler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolgaler Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 8

Why don't you try gum glue? It's just water mixed with small pieces of gum paste.Let it sit for one hour and its good to go. It stays good for one week.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 8

Welcome Carolgaler to our obsession and congratulations on your first post!

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 8

I make alot of colored rolled fondant bows. I add tylose to my rolled fondant to make the bow (about 1 tsp per 12 oz of rolled fondant).

Once my loops are dry, I add hot water to my rolled fondant/tylose mix until it is a thin consistency to where I can apply my glue through a #5 tip. I normally stick the fondant in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up so I can get it well combined with the water.

This works well for me, don't have to worry about coloring candy melts or royal icing to match my fondant.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 8

I make gum glue by mixing gum arabic and water in a small jar. Works like a charm!

jessielou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessielou Posted 15 May 2008 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 8

thank you every one for your help!!! In hte end I used a little bit of mmf disolved in a couple drops of water and that worked fine...had done that before but wanted to try the tylose to see if it would have a stronger hold. Guess i'll have to order some and make something to find out icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%