Have You Ever...?

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 10 May 2008 , 9:50pm by tracey1970

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 6

I'm taking Wilton Courses but there is soooo much more out there. Just looking through this site, watching cake competitions on TV, and looking at local bakery photos tells me I know NOTHING in comparison with what there is to learn.

Other than the 2 Wilton courses I've taken and the one I'm currently in, I'm learning from Cake Central and.... well, that's it. I want to learn so much more but have no desire, means, or time to go back to school.

I want to intern at a bakery. Have you ever done this? Pro's - Con's - Advice??? I did contact one bakery and they were very kind but said they are buried in the midst of wedding cake season and the timing is bad. They told me to call back after June. If they were being completely honest, woo hoo! IF they were just being nice, what's the best way to successfully get into a bakery?

5 replies
cakeryluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeryluv Posted 9 May 2008 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 6

If you can find one that will take you, it's great experience. It'll teach you more than you can imagine (well, most bakeries anyway).

I agree, this would not be the ideal time of year to try it though...graduations, weddings, bdays...OMG, I remember those days! I'd have to pump out 30+ big cakes a day. In the 100+ degree summer+bakery heat. icon_biggrin.gif

You'll learn speed, most of all. Speed is a very good thing! Plus, practice and hand-toughening icon_smile.gif

Oh, and if you're lucky enough, you may just find one to hire you instead of having to intern...that's what happened to me. I had ZERO professional experience or classes, just had made my own cakes at home. Good luck!!!

CakeInfatuation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeInfatuation Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 6

I found another option just down the street from me. I will try there also. In the meantime, can you guys recommend some of your favorite DVD tutorials? I am a visual person so as long as I can see how it is done, I can usually get it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:41am
post #4 of 6

SugarShacks DVDs (2)
JenniferMI - her's should be available any day now.

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 10 May 2008 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shill

I found another option just down the street from me. I will try there also. In the meantime, can you guys recommend some of your favorite DVD tutorials? I am a visual person so as long as I can see how it is done, I can usually get it.

you're like me...visual. icon_lol.gif i'm self taught and that's how i learned and am learning. icon_wink.gif

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 10 May 2008 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 6

All three of Sugarshack's videos are excellent.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%