Diy "ghetto Fabulous" Cupcake Courier

Baking By AKA_cupcakeshoppe Updated 30 Mar 2014 , 9:53pm by daisybee

famousamous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
famousamous Posted 9 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #31 of 108

I bet this would also work well with cupcake cakes! thumbs_up.gif

You could ice the cupcakes without any danger of sliding, it would also keep them close together.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 9 May 2008 , 8:30pm
post #32 of 108

i would love to see pictures if you guys made your own. that would be so cool icon_smile.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:23pm
post #33 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

I had been thinking of using my husband's circle drill bit to make holes in the bottom of the cardboard flats/trays. Then the cakes would sit in the circles, and be lifted up and held by the tray when delivered. I would set the cardboard tray inside a lidded plastic box, or even a paper box as you did, for safe & hygienic transport.

Maybe you could use foam core to do this idea. It should be thick enough to hold the cupcakes in place, and it is inexpensive and easy to cut with a craft knife.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:16pm
post #34 of 108

Hey cool, that's a thought! I'll post my creation when I actually get it together, then we'll see. icon_wink.gif

But seriously, cupcakeshoppe's invention is such a great idea...I think I'm gonna first try to find a deep sheet cake box (no small feat here!) and build myself a lovely GFCC!!! icon_biggrin.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:30pm
post #35 of 108

Hommake goodies~
Your idea with the drill to make the holes? I did that so I could transport the ice cream cone cupcakes to school years ago and it worked great!! Then realized that on the box of ice cream cones you can send for their carriers. But I started out cutting each hole out of cardboard, then got wise and drilled the holes.

For cupcakes that would also work.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:33pm
post #36 of 108

I love it! icon_biggrin.gif I have two of those carriers and I have used them once! I could have had the GFCC for alot less!

patent pending...lol

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:03pm
post #37 of 108

awesome!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:16am
post #38 of 108

LOVE THIS! NEED THIS!

How about dressing it up? I plan to glue down cups as recommended, and take 1" by 1" or 2" by 2" tissue squares (complimenting icing color) , wrap over a pencil eraser, dab in glue, and "pop onto" the board decorating the board (IF I am really bored). That way both the cupcakes AND display look great!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #39 of 108

what a fabulous idea! please post pics when you're done. i would love to see it.

the foam core idea is great too and it's easier to cut. i'll keep that in mind.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:57am
post #40 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

LOVE THIS! NEED THIS!

How about dressing it up? I plan to glue down cups as recommended, and take 1" by 1" or 2" by 2" tissue squares (complimenting icing color) , wrap over a pencil eraser, dab in glue, and "pop onto" the board decorating the board (IF I am really bored). That way both the cupcakes AND display look great!

I totally forgot about that tissue paper activity!

Great idea though!

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:59am
post #41 of 108

last weekend I delivered 12 dozen cupcakes.

I was looking into buying the cupcake carriers but the are too expensive and I didn't think I would get them in time for my order.

I ended up going to a party supply store and buying aluminum chafing trays and lids. They were 1.00 each!

Kind of like this:

http://www.partyatlewis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=7746&Category_Code=2533&Product_Count=4

they were about 3 to 4 inches deep. I fit 28 in each.

I had to put them in there snugly so they didn't slide around. I think I will glue the cups to the bottom of the aluminum tray that way it is a wipeable surface.

zoomitoons Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomitoons Posted 12 May 2008 , 3:18am
post #42 of 108

ok, where were you in December when I had to deliver 600 cupcakes to an anniversary party? LOL awesome idea, I'm going to have to remember this for next time. I hope your patent goes through.
Amy

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 May 2008 , 12:46pm
post #43 of 108

LOL back in december i was still figuring out how to bake.

btw, guys, the "patent pending" is just a joke. LOL

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 12 May 2008 , 1:00pm
post #44 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

I had been thinking of using my husband's circle drill bit to make holes in the bottom of the cardboard flats/trays. Then the cakes would sit in the circles, and be lifted up and held by the tray when delivered. I would set the cardboard tray inside a lidded plastic box, or even a paper box as you did, for safe & hygienic transport.

Maybe you could use foam core to do this idea. It should be thick enough to hold the cupcakes in place, and it is inexpensive and easy to cut with a craft knife.

I was thinking of sticking (good quality) toothpicks in foamcore to hold the cupcakes in place. Much like the cupcake bouquet-I wonder if it would work?

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 17 May 2008 , 3:33am
post #45 of 108

Has anyone been able to locate the plastice cups in the 3 oz. size? I've looked at WM, Sams, Kroger, KMart... can't find them. If you do, let us know please!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 19 May 2008 , 12:12pm
post #46 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by joy5678

Has anyone been able to locate the plastice cups in the 3 oz. size? I've looked at WM, Sams, Kroger, KMart... can't find them. If you do, let us know please!

maybe you can use those party nut cups instead. icon_smile.gif

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 19 May 2008 , 12:35pm
post #47 of 108

I think GFS carries the 3oz size ! ( Gordon Food Service ) Not postive But I think I just saw them there ! Worth shot if you have a GFS !

LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 19 May 2008 , 12:45pm
post #48 of 108

LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!!! I Gotta try it...

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #49 of 108

I love it , where there is a will there is a way I've always heard and it's true. We crafter always have to find a less expensive way don't we? thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:55pm
post #50 of 108

I generally take a big sheet of foil (Reynolds wrap), place it over the back of a muffin tin and mold the shape. Remove it and voila! a cupcake holder. fits inside a box and you just set the cupcakes into the molded foil. Recyclable too.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:11pm
post #51 of 108

leahs... that's brilliant! I'm going to try both of these ideas next time i have a cc order!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 19 May 2008 , 10:10pm
post #52 of 108

LOVE IT. I will definetly be making me a 'ghetto fab' cup cake carrier. icon_lol.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:03am
post #53 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I generally take a big sheet of foil (Reynolds wrap), place it over the back of a muffin tin and mold the shape. Remove it and voila! a cupcake holder. fits inside a box and you just set the cupcakes into the molded foil. Recyclable too.

that's a great idea! thanks for sharing icon_biggrin.gif

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 20 May 2008 , 5:51am
post #54 of 108

That looks really neat but did you have any problems taking the cupcakes out once you reached your destination?

bevyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevyd Posted 20 May 2008 , 5:53am
post #55 of 108

That looks really neat but did you have any problems taking the cupcakes out once you reached your destination?

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 6:15am
post #56 of 108

"GFCC".............I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to try it!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 May 2008 , 7:16am
post #57 of 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevyd

nope. i removed some of the top part of the cups so that some of the top part of the cupcake is exposed and i just grab them from that. it was very easy. make sure you use super glue though.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 20 May 2008 , 11:49am
post #58 of 108

thumbs_up.gif WHAT A FABULOUS IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST PERFECT!!!!

need to remember this one.

Thanks for sharing !! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:30pm
post #59 of 108

this is fabulous. icon_lol.gif
you are too kind to share your invention! icon_lol.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 20 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #60 of 108

awww no problem. icon_biggrin.gif someone would have figured it out sooner or later. am just way too cheap to buy those actual couriers. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%