Need Help With Rolled Buttercream....

Decorating By thin4life Updated 10 May 2008 , 9:48pm by Starkie

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:32am
post #1 of 6

I just tried rolled buttercream for the first time and I am not sure if I am doing it right. I let it sit for over a week to cure. It was really soft when I took it out of the bag so I kneaded in some more powdered sugar. I am not sure if I am doing this right. I rolled it out on a surface dusted with powdered sugar. It was really soft, no where near the consistency of fondant. Is this the way this stuff is. Does anyone have any tips? Also, does anyone own the book Decorating With Rolled Buttercream Icing by Roland A. Winbeckler and if so is it worth buying. Thank you.

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:30am
post #2 of 6

I actually don't like to use RBC "after it's cured"--I find it watery & too soft at that point. When possible, I use it right away.

I roll it out between 2 pieces of parchment paper, pop it in the fridge or freezer until fairly stiff, take it out, sit it on the counter for a minute, peel off the top parchment, and then drape it over the piece to be covered.

If I have to use it after it's been stored, I always have to knead in more PS, but I still repeat the process above.

HTH
Rae

thin4life Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:29am
post #3 of 6

Thanks Rae does anyone else have any tips?

thin4life Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #4 of 6

Anyone???????????????????????????

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 May 2008 , 9:36pm
post #5 of 6

I have no information on "cured" b/c....

Here's different RBC info:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-221681-.html

HTH

Starkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Starkie Posted 10 May 2008 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 6

Great rolled buttercream info! Thanks, JanH!

<S>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%