Strawberry Buttercream Question.

Decorating By lilacc01 Updated 9 May 2008 , 1:14pm by lilacc01

lilacc01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilacc01 Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 7

I had a request for a true buttercream with fresh pureed strawberries in it. Has anyone done anything like this? I am doubtful it will be a decent consistency. I will need to pipe with it as well. Thanks!

6 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:22am
post #2 of 7

I've never done it, but I would make sure they were REALLY pureed and don't use a very small tip for piping? or have a separate batch of regular bc tinted to match the strawberry for your piping work? You could use the juice from the strawberries to replace some of the milk so the consistency should be fine, other than making sure you don't have any strawberry lumps.

lilacc01 Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the response! I am still uncertain about it, especially the seeds. I think I will make a test batch.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:01am
post #4 of 7

Maybe you can make the buttercream with the strawberry juice, as Renaejrk suggested. Then, set some aside to be used for the piping (that way you won't have to worry about lumps). Then you can puree the strawberries and run them through a sieve/strainer, to get rid of the seeds and lumps, then mix it into the remaining buttercream.

You may have to make up a small batch of freezer jam though, or it might be too runny, without much flavor. It is really easy to make, just get the pectin in the grocery store and follow the directions. That will make it thicker.

For the cake filling, can you also layer the berries & buttercream, or hand mix chunks of berries to the buttercream, to add more flavor?

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:52am
post #5 of 7

You can also try using some lorianne flavoring in strawberry icon_smile.gif

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:32pm
post #6 of 7

I have made it. It makes a really delicious soft and non-crusting icing. I did not try to pipe with it as there are pieces of strawberry that would make that impossible. The suggestions to make some with the juice to use for piping sounds like the thing to do. Good luck, I am sure it will turn out great!

lilacc01 Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the help! You guys are the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%