Frozen Cakes And Frosting Questions

Decorating By Cake-Girl1968 Updated 8 May 2008 , 11:28pm by crazy4sugar

Cake-Girl1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake-Girl1968 Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 3

My daughter's birthday party is Saturday. We prebaked a bunch of cakes for her cake and froze them. The cake will require some sculpting/shaping. A friend told me to sculpt while they're frozen but I need to frost in between the layers first. I have never frozen cakes before so I have a lot of questions. Thanks for any help!

1. Can I frost in between the layers when the cake is still frozen?
2. Do you defrost on the counter or in the fridge?
3. How long do cakes typically take to defrost?

Any other tips / advice?

2 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 3

1. Yes, the icing will get cold faster, but it's fine and the cake is easier to handle this way anyway!

2. That depends on how quickly you want it to thaw. If you thaw in the fridge it will take longer, but either is fine.

3. I'm not sure how long they actually take, but I would make sure it has 24 hours before it's served? (on the counter, not the fridge).

Have fun!

crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

1. Yes, the icing will get cold faster, but it's fine and the cake is easier to handle this way anyway!

2. That depends on how quickly you want it to thaw. If you thaw in the fridge it will take longer, but either is fine.

Perfect advice.

As for timing...I use frozen cakes to carve and they are completely defrosted in 6-10 hours (sitting out on the counter --- with a loose wrapping of plastic wrap to collect any condensation).

HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%