New: States That License Home Kitchens

Business By kelleym Updated 17 Aug 2014 , 1:55pm by craftybanana

heathers09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathers09 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:02am
post #211 of 437

Does anyone know about selling cakes in Calgary, Alberta. Can you rent a kitchen?

Thanks

CakesbyCarla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyCarla Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:37pm
post #212 of 437

I wrote to the dept of agriculture in NE to find out for myself about home kitchens. Here's his response. (It basically says OK provided you sell something that won't spoil directly to your client - not to a store, restaurant etc). Hope you find this helpful.

"Home kitchens are not licensed for commercial food production. However, cakes and other non-potentially hazardous baked goods may be produced in the home kitchen and sold to individuals.

Products sold in commercial establishments (retail grocery, restaurants) must come from an inspected, licensed facility.

Our procedures state that no enforcement action is taken provided food produced in a private home is not a potentially hazardous baked good, has not been advertised to the public, and is sold directly to the consumer."

CelebrationsbyLori Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationsbyLori Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 1:05am
post #213 of 437

Here's a little update on KANSAS. We have recently recombined our Dept. of Health and Ag. and some things have been cleared up. There was a bit of a gray area about home baking, but I point blank asked my inspector (I'm a storefront) about home baking and she said absolutely NO. Farmer's Markets don't really apply since they are what they are, but any sales/ business would be a no-no. In fact she said they are cracking down on just that. You can have a second kitchen on your house as long it has a seperate entrance and passes all the commercial kitchen guidelines, it can be licensed, but you have to have a license. HTH -Lori

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 11 Apr 2010 , 8:34pm
post #214 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcepasticceria

Can you tell me where to get the Home Food Processing Rules for the State of Pennsylvania?

PA Department of Agriculture

bxmicheleKkl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bxmicheleKkl Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 2:23am
post #215 of 437

NYC info anyone?? I can't open the spreadsheet...

TapsTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TapsTreats Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 4:07am
post #216 of 437

Hi - I have just signed up for this community tonight. I have been reading throught the pages for this posts on states. Does anyone have information on Arkansas. I really dont want to invest into a store front yet. I would like to sell from my home for a while.

Thanks

izzybee Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 12:24pm
post #217 of 437

Sorry, Arkansas is a no bake state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctapley

Hi - I have just signed up for this community tonight. I have been reading throught the pages for this posts on states. Does anyone have information on Arkansas. I really dont want to invest into a store front yet. I would like to sell from my home for a while.

Thanks

TPACakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPACakeGirl Posted 19 Apr 2010 , 6:25pm
post #218 of 437

The Florida branch of ICES sent out their newsletter last week, and it says that Florida is reconsidering allowing home baking. There was a link about the bill and how to contact your representative. Of course it's at home, so I can't post it here, but if I remember, I will post the info here.

mrsc808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsc808 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 7:55am
post #219 of 437

In case there's anyone in Honolulu, as long as you have a separate kitchen and are zoned correctly, you can bake at home. I am neither, so oh well. LOL

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 8:16am
post #220 of 437

I can not get the spreadsheet on either. Does anyone know any information about the state of Colorado? Thank you

izzybee Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 12:14pm
post #221 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscromer

I can not get the spreadsheet on either. Does anyone know any information about the state of Colorado? Thank you

Colorado is a no baking state.

nneka36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nneka36 Posted 20 Apr 2010 , 1:32pm
post #222 of 437

I am in Walton county in Georgia, as far as I know it goes by county. I have a friend whose home kitchen is licenced to bake and sell cakes in Clayton county. I have had three differnt answers from the health department in my county so far. first answer was no, second person said, as long its a seperate kitchen, and third answer was, an inspector will have to inspect my home kitchen first. i am so confused. icon_sad.gif

Cocoscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cocoscakes Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 3:39pm
post #223 of 437

the Massachusetts regulations have changed as far as "baking" in the home ... you have to use an industrial kitchen (basiclly one one not used for family use) you can get cake from an outside source and decorate in your home but not bake

izzybee Posted 27 Apr 2010 , 4:02pm
post #224 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoscakes

the Massachusetts regulations have changed as far as "baking" in the home ... you have to use an industrial kitchen (basiclly one one not used for family use) you can get cake from an outside source and decorate in your home but not bake

Is this a statewide rule, or a county rule?

tacha55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tacha55 Posted 11 May 2010 , 9:40pm
post #225 of 437

I am unable to view the list, does anyone know if the state of PA permits/license home kitchens?

izzybee Posted 11 May 2010 , 10:13pm
post #226 of 437

PA does. It is run by Dept. of Agriculture, and varies by county.

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:11pm
post #227 of 437

What about SC?! I am pretty sure its a no bake state. but does anyone know for sure?

izzybee Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:17pm
post #228 of 437

Please look at the list at the front page of this topic.

lilyankee5688 Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:32pm
post #229 of 437

When i clicked on that it comes up saying the following.. thats why i asked.

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.

<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Access Denied</Message>
<RequestId>C01C63343C0F42A1</RequestId>

<HostId>
t65ObxuMbP2RsLYr9KPzRq+04yCo93TsxeFgkXQ4UkYA8++oePyQL124v0xexLuE
</HostId>
</Error>

joyfullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joyfullysweet Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:44pm
post #230 of 437

Here is info on PA: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_24476_10297_0_43/AgWebsite/Files/Publications/Home_Processing_rev_11-05.pdf

Looks like the only restrictions are: no pets, separate supplies, no kids in kitchen during production, approved water supply, zoning, registration and fee, and cannot use kitchen for personal use during business use.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:53pm
post #231 of 437

Does anyone know about Nassau County Long Island NY??? TIA

izzybee Posted 12 May 2010 , 4:57pm
post #232 of 437

In states where it varies by county, you need to check with your county directly, or go to the NY forum for more information.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:04pm
post #233 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyankee5688

What about SC?! I am pretty sure its a no bake state. but does anyone know for sure?

It's a no! I'm between Columbia and Charleston...a yes in NC though icon_confused.gif

lilyankee5688 Posted 12 May 2010 , 5:25pm
post #234 of 437

yeah i figured it was a no.... I'm right outside of Columbia.. too good to be true..

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:10am
post #235 of 437

I'm not sure if this has been linked or mentioned here, but I just found this very helpful website:

http://cookingwithdenay.com/home-based-bakers/state-cottage-laws/

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:13am
post #236 of 437

Also, here are the home-based food prep rules for North Carolina:

http://www.agr.state.nc.us/fooddrug/food/homebiz.htm

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 16 May 2010 , 2:35am
post #237 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlt2000

I'm not sure if this has been linked or mentioned here, but I just found this very helpful website:

http://cookingwithdenay.com/home-based-bakers/state-cottage-laws/

Haven't run across this site before, but it is pretty nice to have a list with links to more information for each state. (expecially since it's not easy to keep updating the original post in this topic)

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 17 May 2010 , 2:39pm
post #238 of 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by multilayered

Does anyone know about Nassau County Long Island NY??? TIA

I am answering my own question in case anyone else wants info.In Nassau County you cannot bake/decorate cakes in your home for individual sale. You can only bake and sell cakes/pies/brownies for wholesale (restaurants, bakeries,etc) Cake decorating or making specialty cakes (wedding,birthday 3D etc) is considered being a "retail Bakery" and is not allowed to operate from a home kitchen. Oh well!!!

bshinton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bshinton Posted 17 May 2010 , 3:03pm
post #239 of 437

Does anyone have any info for Mississippi and license for home kitchens?

beautifulcakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beautifulcakes2007 Posted 28 May 2010 , 7:02pm
post #240 of 437

I cant open the List, Is it legal in Fort Campbell KY,or Clarksville TN, ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%