Bc For Piping

Decorating By Renaejrk Updated 17 May 2008 , 7:34pm by Renaejrk

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 16

I use a basic recipe and thin it down with corn syrup usually. It seems like it gets warm in my hand so quickly, and it also seems like it tries to separate (a little-I use clear bags and can see what's going on inside).

I haven't tried an all shortening, but wanted some advice before I waste a lot of money testing things out, as I don't have a lot of that and rarely get paid to make a cake -they're mostly freebies.

I want something that will hold up, but is easy to work with. I know there are thousands of recipes out there, but I'd just like some recommendations as I can't try all of them! icon_smile.gif

Thanks for any help you can give me - I have missed spending time on CC as this last year has been too busy and this house too crowded to spend much time on the computer! icon_sad.gif

15 replies
Renaejrk Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 16

Is this a stupid question? I know there are probably some past posts, but my computer is terribly slow and has had some problems with the searches in the past.

Tiababe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiababe Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 16

Not a dumb question at all! I use Buttercream Dream, which I found in the recipe section here on CC. Really good stuff. My hands also tend to warm up the icing. If it gets too warm, put it in the fridge just a bit....only long enough to firm it back up a bit. I hope this helps!

Renaejrk Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 16

I do that too, I just was hoping there was a recipe (maybe buttercream dream?) I could use that wouldn't do it so quickly!=)

Renaejrk Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 16

I checked the buttercream dream recipe, and the only difference is you use more milk, about 50% more, in the recipe, and you use half salted and half unsalted butter. Although that would affect the flavor, I wonder how it affects the consistency? I used a recipe someone had given me a while back that used 1/3 cup instead 1/4 cup milk for a batch, and it separated on me pretty horribly. I know climate affects results, so I wonder how much this makes a difference?

Tiababe Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:49am
post #6 of 16

When the weather here in New Jersey is hot and/or humid I put some Meringue Powder in the recipe. That seems to help. Have you tried omitting the corn syrup? I haven't used corn syrup so I am a bit clueless regarding its effect on icing. Also, another recipe that gets good reviews for holding up well despite hot weather is Indydeb's recipe:
2 pounds powdered sugar
1/3 to 1/2 Cup milk (depending on desired consistency)
1 1/3 Cup Crisco
3 TBS of Dream Whip

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:20pm
post #7 of 16

If I read this right. You use corn syrup to thin out the BC, right? Your looking for a recipe that will give you a better consistancy for piping? Can you just set some aside before you thin it out with the CS?

Mike

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

If I read this right. You use corn syrup to thin out the BC, right? Your looking for a recipe that will give you a better consistancy for piping? Can you just set some aside before you thin it out with the CS?

Mike

She's needing something that doesn't separate from her warm hands. icon_biggrin.gif

I also have had some issues. The only recipes I've ever piped with are the Wilton's (which of course is perfect for never separating at any temp) and the non-Butter Dream Whip icing I found on a Wilton site which I had similar issues with. It's really annoying!!

I think I'm going to try indydebi's recipe one day b/c she swears by it, even in 90 degree weather. Also I haven't piped yet with SMBC and really like the stuff so I think I'll try that one day too. This is an excellent thread and really not a bad question to ask! I'm dying to know too. icon_wink.gif

Renaejrk Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:46pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

I have used it without corn syrup, it's just a little stiffer. That helps with the piping holding shape a little bit, but not really with the heat issue. I usually have 2-3 bags to switch back and forth so one doesn't get too warm, but there's got to be something to do. I like the idea of using meringue, I think I've heard that before and haven't done it. Does anyone know how much you should use for a basic 2 lb PS recipe?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:28pm
post #10 of 16

For Wilton, they use 1 T. for 1 recipe of their BC (equivalent to 1 lb. of sugar). Maybe that will keep it together. If it does, will you let me know? That's the only reason I stopped making the Dream Whip recipe I was using.

Tiababe Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 16

For a basic 2 pound PS recipe, I have used 2TBS of meringue powder. Also, I have a friend that places the icing bags in the fridge a bit before she fills them with icing. I have never tried this particular trick but she thinks it helps with the "warm icing" issue.

Renaejrk Posted 9 May 2008 , 2:43pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiababe

Also, I have a friend that places the icing bags in the fridge a bit before she fills them with icing. I have never tried this particular trick but she thinks it helps with the "warm icing" issue.

I think it would help at first, but wouldn't do much good if you have a lot of piping, like scroll work, etc. I am definitely going to try the meringue. I am still curious about the gritty look to my BC, I have read other threads on this and still not sure. Mine TASTES smooth basically, but when you look closely at it, it is grainy looking. Not sure what that's about. I'll try a few different tactics and see what works.

Tiababe Posted 9 May 2008 , 4:24pm
post #13 of 16

I have noticed that when I use store brand PS that it is a bit more grainy. Domino's PS works the best for me. Also, are you sifting your PS? There is a thread on here titled "everything you ever wanted to know about Buttercream". I'll try to find the link and send it your way. What about piping gel? Never tried it myself, but that may be useful.

MosMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MosMom Posted 9 May 2008 , 9:29pm
post #14 of 16

Before I pipe, I torture myself and run my hands under really cold water. I do this periodically to keep my hands cold. It really helps.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:29am
post #15 of 16

In the warmer weather (or when I'm doing a lot of work with one color) I like to keep a pan filled with ice cubes, put another pan on top and put my bags in that. I have some pretty hot hands so I love decorating in the winter, our kitchen is nice and chilly and my hands won't melt my bc!!

Renaejrk Posted 17 May 2008 , 7:34pm
post #16 of 16

I have the everything you want to know about BC topic on my watched list, but it's so long it's hard to get through it! I like the idea of a tray with ice under it to put piping bags on. I've heard people talk about domino's sugar, but I've never seen it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%