Ganache Question

Decorating By rkljazz Updated 8 May 2008 , 6:36pm by rkljazz

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 4

So I am making a chocolate ganache cake for the first time and I have a question: Do I need to cover the cake with buttercream before pouring the ganache over it? Or goes the ganache just go right on top of the 'naked' cake? Thanks

3 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 4

I let my ganache get to room temp and spread it on like buttercream.. icon_smile.gif You don't need to put BC on under tha ganache.. you can skim coat it with some ganache and them pour it.. but your best bet for a nice smooth finish with sharp edges is to crumb coat it with some room temp ganache and them wram it up and pour it over the cake. icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 4

I let my ganache cool to about room temperature then use a very thin layer to crumb coat my cake. Allow the cake to set a little while then spoon the slightly thickened ganache onto the top and over the sides of the cake. I find it very easy to spread the ganache over the entire cake to get a nice pretty covering. You can get it slick or leave it wavy. I'm fairly new to the ganache world, but sure love working with it. I make most mine with semi sweet choc chips.

rkljazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkljazz Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 4

well since there's two replies in agreement with each other, then that's what I'll do. Thanks for the good advice, ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%