Where Do I Begin?

Business By Sweetpeazmom Updated 8 May 2008 , 6:29pm by Sweetpeazmom

Sweetpeazmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeazmom Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone. I'm new to the CC forums...well sorta...I've read lots of post but never posted before. And before I get to my post, I'd like to say that you all do such beautiful work. I have been inspired so much by your creativity.

Sorry in advance--this is kinda long.
Here's the deal.....I live in SC and have been wanting to have a home based business. I have done cakes for friends and family and when I did my daughter's wedding cake everyone started telling me that I should start a business. This is something I have been thinking about for a while. I know that I first need to be licensed to sell and have just found out (thanks to this wonderful forum) that SC does not allow home based bakeries...So DH has FINALLY agreed that I should get a place of my own. There is not a doubt in our minds that it will succeed. We only have one real bakery in town and everyone that I talk to doesn't like their cakes. They are dry and very generic in design. Even their regular undecorated cakes would choke a horse icon_lol.gif . People only buy from them because there is no where else, other than the typical grocery store bakeries. We have been looking at places and may have found the perfect location(I know that is important.) All of this is so overwhelming and I'm sure there may be a post, but I haven't had time to sit down and read through 131 pages worth and I can't find it in search. So I hope some of you will help me figure this out. I don't really know where to start. Do I find a place first, then register the name, then get a license? When can I open a business acct. at the bank(to start saving some cash)? Do need to actually have my license and registered name to have a business acct.? I don't even know where to begin searching. I've seen the article that leads me to the Sec. of State for SC. (Thanks icon_biggrin.gif ) Who do I need to contact??? DHEC??? Dept of Agric??? And when??? Oh..what about a tax ID #? Sorry this is going all over the place but I'm sooooo lost. I know alot of you have opened up your own store front and have learned alot. Can someone please help me get my thoughts straight and figure out what to do in what order? Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give. And again---Sorry this was sooo long.

2 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 3

Congratulations. Breathe.

Check with your local chamber of commerce to see if there are any Business Startup classes in your area. Those would put you in touch with places (not only banks) that will finance a new, small biz, especially a minority/woman owned biz.

You really need to register a name first. In my state you can do that at the Sec of State's website, online. I have several names registered. Well, I have one corporate name and severl dba's. Don't forget to also get that name as a domain name.

Then you should incorporate as either an LLC or a Sub-S. There's not enough space here to discuss the advantages of each, so do an online search.

Then get your EIN, which you can also do online.

The Ag Dept or Dept of Health whichever does inspections in your state has to have a physical property to inspect and will likely send you a book about the process if you just ask. You'll also need to take a Sanatation course.

Sweetpeazmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeazmom Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks Leahs. I know everyone thinks I'm crazy. I'm really not. LOL My husband just laughs at me. Business Startup class---sure hope they offer one. I never knew about a Sanitation Course...or thought about it for that matter. So much to think about. I will definitely try to calm down and Breathe. It's just soooo exciting. Last week DH told me I was on my own with this one and now he is on board---so I am beyond excited. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%