Cover Hidden Pillars With Fondant To Look Like Tree Trunks?

Decorating By LittleLinda Updated 8 May 2008 , 6:54pm by antonia74

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:20am
post #1 of 5

I have a request to make the pillars look like tree trunks, then have the tier atop them have the rest of the trees drawn on them. Oak trees, to be exact. Or ... maybe they would go for the tier to be the rest of the tree ... any suggestions?

Have any of you seen pillars covered in fondant in this way?

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 8 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #2 of 5

I think that would look really cool! You could even roll a ribbed rolling pin over them to give them a woody "trunk" look to them. I've never seen it done before, but a friend of mine once dipped her pillars in dark chocolate when she needed them for a chocolate wedding cake. Yum!

The first pic is an amazing cake that looks like birch bark...I love it! This would be great it the cake is meant to be tree-themed? (VERY sorry, not sure of the cake designer or bakery. My computer crashed last year and I only have the pics with none of my titles, info, etc.)

Another thing you could do is to use a tree stump as your actual wedding cake plateau. I copied this from Martha Stewart's bird cake in her magazine a few years ago. (Ignore the weirdo pink gopher topper here! haha I can't even explain.)
LL
LL

antonia74 Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 5

Here's the original Martha Stewart bird cake that inspired me to use the tree stump too:
LL

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the beautiful pics. None of them are what my customer is looking for; but those cakes are all beautiful!

You did the one in the middle?

antonia74 Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 5

No problem.

Yes, I did the middle cake for a same-sex wedding last summer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%