Falling Apart

Decorating By IloveYorkies85 Updated 8 May 2008 , 2:29pm by BigTexinWV

IloveYorkies85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveYorkies85 Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:49am
post #1 of 4

I just baked my first square cake... I let it cool on the rack, and when I came back in the kitchen it had split down the middle. I thought I could deal with it, maybe it would be okay?
Then not even five minutes later, a half of a half had split again! I used the same stuff I always do, besides the pan. Whats going on? I still need to bake another layer.... maybe I shouldnt do square pans!!?
Its really stressing me out. My cake is falling apart!!!

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:02am
post #2 of 4

Cake troubleshooting chart:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

Did you turn your cake out onto the cooling rack with the "hump" up or down?

If it was hump down, this would explain the cracking.

(To prevent it from happening again, just flip cake layer using another cooling rack for support - so that it's hump side up.

HTH

IloveYorkies85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveYorkies85 Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 4

HA, it's never occurred to me to flip the cake over on the flat side. That sure would make alot more sense to me. That probably is what the cracking happened, it's just never happened before.. icon_sad.gif
I think I can repair it, I was thinking of just putting it on the bottom of the cake.... is that a bad idea??

BigTexinWV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigTexinWV Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with JanH, my cake last week crack because I did not flip it over in time. Now i level them before I take them out of the pan. I always have humps, I use bake strips, heating cores, and lower cooking temps. I think my oven is just crappy. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%