My New Website Is Done! Check It Out

Business By luvscakes Updated 14 May 2008 , 3:09pm by mjcakes

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:10pm
post #31 of 43

Beautiful, beautiful cakes! And a lovely website. My only concern was with the Dora the Explorer cake. I don't think I would keep it on the site due to copyright issues. Maybe the same thing for the Strawberry Shortcake (assuming it was Strawberry Shortcake!).

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:07am
post #32 of 43

Laura- Thanks again for the awesome eye for spelling! I fixed everything so now hopefully I will not come off as being unprofessional.

The Berry cake is actually a candle on top that was purchased so I think that is ok, the Dora cake... I forgot that may be a problem. I really like to use it as an example of what a chocolate trasfer is though when I am talking to clients. HUMMMMM. I have to think about that as I know I could bring trouble.

I actually slowed down the slideshow and I took out some exclaimation points.

Thanks again for all your pointers! I appreciate them!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 11 May 2008 , 1:59am
post #33 of 43

Just though I'd add my 2 cents... I'd definitely get rid of the first page - that "splash" page with your logo and two cakes.... it's incredibly annoying to most people. It's like saying "are you ready for my site? I don't think you're ready.... so I'm going to show you this page to make sure you're ready - are you ready? Click here and if you're ready... you can see my site!"

Just take people directly to the site. Or create a non-flash version, which I would recommend anyway. While Flash is really cool, it doesn't allow people who don't have flash to view your site. Some people can't download at work, so if someone is searching for a cake decorator while they are at work (on their lunch), they can't see your site. Or, some people are very paranoid about downloading anything.... especially an older generation... so they may not ever see your site b/c they won't or can't figure out how to download Flash Player.

I'm also not certain - it's not my area of expertise, but I think it's harder to find Flash websites in search engines. You may want to look into that - you want people to be able to find your site!

Overall, I think it's a very nice look. I also agree with removing music. While YOU like to browse to music, not everyone does - or can - and it could get people in trouble if they are browsing at work and that comes on. In addition, you may turn someone away from your site b/c they hate the songs you are playing. I personally like the song - but many others may not and they won't want to stay on your site long - especially if they can't figure out how to turn it off or don't want to be bothered to have to figure out how or if it can be turned off. It's not enhancing your site in any way, so I would remove it. People aren't coming to your site to listen to music - hopefully, they want cake! Now if we could only get the Internet to include smells.... icon_smile.gif

had to add - just tried to go back and make the music stop - nothing I was trying worked... hitting "stop", trying to hit >> to the next song (it looks like there's 3), turning the volume all the way down... no clue.

gina_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gina_ann Posted 11 May 2008 , 2:36am
post #34 of 43

I like the look of your website!

A few comments... I am on a Mac, if that helps...

So on the splash page, if you click the center image the site opens in a new window. If you click either the left or right image, it opens in the same window. Why is this? I personally find it annoying when websites pop open in a new window. I would suggest making all three images keep you in the same window, or connecting all the images so it's one big image instead of three smaller ones. (or, as imartsy said, ditch the splash page altogether. While it looks nice, it's not really practical. You can put all that info on your "home" page).

I don't think it's necessary to say "please come in and browse our site" on the splash page. That's what they're there for anyway!

This has been said, but I too think that music is distracting on a website, no matter how neat it is. (And I think your song selection is cool, and I was a music major in college!) icon_smile.gif

On the "Cake Galleries" page, there should be four categories, right? It seems as if the "Wedding" tag is white text against a white background, so I can't see it unless I click something else. It also doesn't have a black line across the top like the other three.

The first time I viewed the galleries there were pictures literally flashing before my eyes! I missed half the pictures. The second time I viewed it, it seemed to scroll quite well. I don't know if that's some kind of bug or something, but I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on seeing one of your fabulous cakes.

Your home page seems a little lacking. No welcome, no phone number, no personal message.... just a cake. A beautiful cake indeed, but it needs more.

The arrows on the "cake info" page are small and hard to click. And I can't really tell when I'm at the end of the page because there's no scroll bar.

One last thing - the background of the pages vary in color: teal, pink, black, gray... Perhaps they should all be uniform.

I tend to be overly critical of websites, but I hope this helps. Oh, and I LOVE your Scrabble cake! icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:50pm
post #35 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlina25

i think it looks really good. i am concerned with there being music, i am one of those people who surfs at work, and would find it very annoying to have that pop up. While i figured out how to stop the music, there may be many who won't.

carrot cake description, you misspelled raisen (raisin)

other than these 2 small concerns, it looks fantastic!

i agree about the music , i didnt figure out how to stop the music,

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:31pm
post #36 of 43

AWESOME!

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 12 May 2008 , 6:31pm
post #37 of 43

AWESOME!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 May 2008 , 7:13pm
post #38 of 43

FWIW: I think your website is very beautiful, it is simple and elegant. You have gotten a lot of very helpful comments and here are my thoughts....

I am browsing at work and don't have speakers...so I cannot comment on the music, but it wouldn't bother me if I were browsing at home however, an option to turn it off on the first page would work for those that need it.

Also, lovely cakes, I like looking at all you have to offer - so much so that I'd like to be able to stop the slideshow to look longer and then be able resume when ready.

Your having a front page wasn't a concern for me, but I didn't like having a new browser popup after I clicked to enter.

Best wishes on your new venture thumbs_up.gif

jnet72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jnet72 Posted 12 May 2008 , 10:36pm
post #39 of 43

Great work on the website! Your cakes are beautiful!

Zombiecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zombiecakes Posted 13 May 2008 , 2:47am
post #40 of 43

Regarding the music: I always listen to iTunes or Pandora when I'm surfing because I love music. But I hate websites that have their own music. If I can't find the mute button immediately I get pretty annoyed and will usually leave the page.

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 14 May 2008 , 12:13am
post #41 of 43

i really like your logo...i love it!

ashley

WendyVA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WendyVA Posted 14 May 2008 , 1:17pm
post #42 of 43

I LOVE your work! Great looking cakes!

Cool website. I normally don't like music at all, but that song was so fun that I didn't mind it so much.

mjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjcakes Posted 14 May 2008 , 3:09pm
post #43 of 43

Great job, I know how hard it was to do a website!!!
Good luck with things. My biz exploded when my site went up. Stay organized!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%