Minnie Mouse Ears

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 8 May 2008 , 2:14pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:10am
post #1 of 5

Calling all of you fabulous bakers who have made the Minnie House Hat (or who may otherwise know what to do)...

I am in the middle of making the ever so popular Minnie Mouse Hat cake and was thinking how simple it should be, but then I got to stressing over attaching the ears.

I plan on making them from 50/50 MMF/gumpaste (it's what I use for the cowboy hat) and thought I'd just stick a couple of toothpicks in to hold them in place... and then flashes of floppy ears crossed my mind.

What have you done to attach the ears? (Or other suggestions)

Thanks!

4 replies
beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:47am
post #2 of 5

I did some minnie ears, but they were small and not stuck into the cake.

50/50 should work, just give yourself enough time to dry, I'd leave it a week. You can slide wire or a skewer in while they're still pliable. I like to put drinking straws in the cake to support the wire/skewer so it doesn't rip through the cake from the weight of the gp piece.

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:35am
post #3 of 5

I used round cardboards covered w/ black fondant.
LL

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 5

...sorry! They were attached w/ popsicle sticks, that I had attached to the cardboard.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:14pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! I think I'll make two sets--gumpaste and cardboard. That way, if I have issues with the gumpaste ears I can be confident the cardboard ears will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%