Pink Gumpaste Lillies? Getting The Coloring Right??

Decorating By CheadleChick Updated 8 May 2008 , 1:21am by CheadleChick

CheadleChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheadleChick Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 4

For a friend's wedding cake she's asked if I can put pink lillies on it. I'd really like to be able to make them out of gum paste but I seem to be having one big issue.
I can get the lillies cut out, shaped, dried and pieced together (using glucose "glue") but my painting skills leave a lot to be desired. I've tried mixing pink coloring into my gum paste but a) it makes it sticky and b) the color is just not quite right, it keeps turning out a really "juvenille" pink and looks like something you'd put on a kids cake rather than a wedding cake.
Is there a better way to make the lillies look an authentic pink?

3 replies
JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:45am
post #2 of 4

You can dust them with petal dusts, that is what gives them the element of realism. If you want more tips on some shades, ect.... just e-mail me,
[email protected] I'm happy to try and help.

Jen icon_smile.gif

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:50am
post #3 of 4

I agree with Jen....make them white and then dust them you get much better depth to your colour and it makes them much more realistic...then steam to set the colours and if needed use a liquid colour for the little dots etc.

CheadleChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheadleChick Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:21am
post #4 of 4

Thanks very much! I'm going to go to a few craft/hobby stores this weekend and see what I can find for petal dusts and give it a try.

Are there any "how to" topics on dusting petals to make them look good? I really like the idea of dusting rather than trying to paint realistically lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%