3 Little Pigs Cake: What Would You Charge?

Decorating By angkimbrell Updated 14 Jun 2008 , 1:03am by superstar

angkimbrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angkimbrell Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all,

A co-worker, well a boss from another department on campus, asked me about this cake today. http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/cakepict/ThreeLittlePigs.jpg. She wanted to know what I would charge.

I figured at $1.75 per slice that would be 38.50 for the house and 4 characters. But the pigs are in fondant. The local bakery starts at $30 for just the wondermold cake, no extra layer for height (called about the "barbie cake") and the doll pick.

I think that's a fair price for our area in OK (near the TX border). But I want to know what would you charge?

8 replies
butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 7 May 2008 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 9

the link isn't working... can you attach the photo?

foogrrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foogrrl Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:43am
post #3 of 9

Try this link, there was an extra . in the original:
http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/cakepict/ThreeLittlePigs.jpg

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:53am
post #4 of 9

there is a lot of detail there b oth in the piggies and wolf as well as the colorflow windows- don't short yourself

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:03am
post #5 of 9

if it were me and since there's lots of detail and fondant... $15 - $20 per pig/wolf $25 - $30 for the house. $85 - $110 total

simplysweetbygigi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweetbygigi Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:42am
post #6 of 9

I AGREE WITH BUTTERFLY WINGS. THERE'S ALOT OF DETAIL. I ALWAYS DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF THE COST OF THE CAKE DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE THE BOARDS, BOXES AND ANY SUPPORTS, THEN ADD YOUR COST FOR YOUR TIME PER HOUR. IN NEW JERSEY, MOST CAKE DECORATORS CAN GET $10 - $18 PER HOUR FOR A CAKE. GOOD LUCK. REMEMBER IF IT WAS EASY THEN EVERYONE WOULD BE MAKING THERE OWN CAKES.

angkimbrell Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you! I am always nervous about the pricing as a newbie. I don't want to seem outrageous, but then I don't want to do this for free either!

Thank you for the greatest support site on the web for cake decorating! thumbs_up.gif

angkimbrell Posted 13 Jun 2008 , 11:43am
post #8 of 9

Here is the final product of the 3 little pigs.

I ended up charging $1.75 per serving plus piping detail. The original order was scaled down to just 12 servings, so it is smaller that the Wilton cake link.

I am finally getting better at the decorating!! I was beginning to think I was addicted to a skill I didn't have! Thank you CCers as always for your confidence in all of us newbies, and your overflowing advice. You really fuel the addiction!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 14 Jun 2008 , 1:03am
post #9 of 9

You did a good job, charged too little though.....in my opinion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%