Grooms Cake Question

Business By Trixyinaz Updated 30 May 2008 , 8:36pm by Trixyinaz

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:03pm
post #31 of 45

Topper in fondant/gumpaste for sure for stability (make sure to put a foot on the bottom so you can stick it in the cake).

DON'T FORGET to get your boards wrapped early, that was a step I didn't see in your schedule. I tend to always forget about wrapping the boards and then I'm having to do them all at once. If you know the base size, etc., would help to get those out of the way so they're ready when you get to the point of assembling the cakes.

Since you're doing tiered cakes, also remember to have your dowels or straws or whatever you use for supports on hand.

I have never frozen a cake but I see that so many do. I may try it sometime so I can see if it does affect my cake at all. Problem being is that my refrigerator in my kitchen is a side-by-side and the larger tiers won't fit in it. I will have to use my extra fridge in the garage for it sometime (used only for large cake orders, other than that I keep it turned off). I usually bake a day or two ahead and use a simple syrup on my cakes and they are always super moist. May be another option for you.

I was hoping that someone would toss out the upside down wedding cake for the groom's cake! It would be nice to do it in chocolate cake/frosting since it's the groom's cake and it's such a different alternative since it's not a traditional wedding cake and all. Oh well. Since they are Mario Brothers fanatics, it would be cute to have the 3 tiers look like mushrooms.

Good luck, Vicki, I'm sure you will do just fine!

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 8 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #32 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

I so want to call you Melvira, Mistress of the dark.... icon_lol.gif every time I see your siggy.

The wedding is June 7th....I'm kinda freaking out. I work full time in an office and am not sure when I should start baking the cakes, etc. I have 6 cakes to make for this order (flavors undetermined at this point)

This weekend I'm gonna make the cake topper so it has time to dry and I'm not rushing at the last minute to make that.

Here's what I'm thinking. Let me know if this will allow for enough time or if I'm spreading it out too much. Remember, I only have my nights to do this and all day on the weekends

Sunday, June 1st - make all the fillings for the cakes and keep in fridge
Monday night, June 2nd - make the 10" cakes
Tuesday night, June 3rd - make the 8" cakes
Wednesday night, June 4th - make the 6" cakes
Thursday night, June 5th - fill all the cakes, make the icing and crumb coat cakes
Friday night, June 6th - ice and decorate the cakes and prep for stacking
Saturday, June 7th - bring to the wedding and set it up there (it's an early afternoon wedding)

What am I missing? Does that timeline look okay? Do I keep the cakes in the fridge until I fill and crumb coat or keep them wrapped up in saran wrap on the counter?

Hi Vicky:
We're in the same boat, I have a full time job. Just wanted to share
the schedule I have prepared for my upcoming wedding cakes.

Two weeks before the wedding: make all GP flowers or fondant figurines (if needed).
Sunday: make icing
Monday: bake-wrap-freeze
Tuesday: bake-wrap-freeze
Wednesday: make filling
(Since this in normally not a long process I also prepare cake boards,
clean kitchen nicely and make sure all additional decoration has been bought or made, etc.)
Thursday: level-fill and crumb coat-freeze
Friday: thaw and ice.

I will probably switch things around a bit, but this is the main plan.

Good luck with your cake!

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 8 May 2008 , 9:51pm
post #33 of 45

I work full time too and here's what I do:

2-3 weeks before:
make sure I have all fo the non-perishable supplies I will need
make gumpaste/fondant/royal decorations
wrap boards, especially base

1 week before:
shop for perishable supplies

Saturday before:
Bake

Sunday afternoon before:
make icing

Thursday
remove cakes from freezer before leaving for work
level, fill, and crumbcoat

Friday (take off if possible)
ice and decorate

Saturday
deliver
collect payment
breathe sigh of relief
take myself out to eat (sometimes I skip this-depends on the cake)
go home and put my feet up

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:15pm
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by yh9080

Saturday
deliver
collect payment
breathe sigh of relief
take myself out to eat (sometimes I skip this-depends on the cake)
go home and put my feet up

That's my kinda day right there!!! icon_wink.gif

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:39pm
post #35 of 45

Hey - forgot about the boards. Thanks for the reminder! icon_biggrin.gif

What size boards do I use for each of the cakes? Like I said, I've never done stacked cakes before. The cake sizes are 10-8-6. Do I cover the 6" and 8" boards too since they are sitting on top of another cake? I over think things and I'm thinking do you really want the tape on the underside of the boards to touch the cake underneath it? Or does that not even matter?

Oh, and the foot that you mention that I need to make on the cake topper so that I can stick it in the cake....huh???? icon_confused.gif You lost me? How do I do that?

About the hearts on the side of the cake....she is going round instead of square so if I make my hearts ahead of time, won't they dry out and be hard when I stick them on, hence (just love that word), making it impossible to curve them around the cake so they lay flat against it? Did that make sense?

Deep breath....I can do this icon_smile.gif

Melvira Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:58pm
post #36 of 45

The 6 & 8 boards do not have to be wrapped, the bottom base board should be a 12".

When you make the topper, while it is still soft, push some thin sucker sticks or dowels into the bottom so that you have something to push into the cake to make the topper stand up when you put it all together. Otherwise you will be standing at the delivery site cursing because this wicked cool topper is not going to stand up! icon_lol.gif

I would not make the side hearts in advance as you do not want them to dry. You will make those the day you are decorating.

HTH...

BTW: I am going to be out of town today, so I won't be on CC... please don't think I've ditched you!!! thumbs_up.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:03pm
post #37 of 45

Thanks Mel! Have a good day. With all you have going on, I can't even believe you have time for my questions. Good luck and wish I was there to help you!

I'm gonna make the cake toppers this weekend.

Melvira Posted 9 May 2008 , 1:10pm
post #38 of 45

I've always got time to help! (Well, I try to make time anyway... but it's good to catch me this week because next week there are no promises! Heheheh...week from heck!!)

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 9 May 2008 , 3:43pm
post #39 of 45

I know Melvira doesn't (and others don't either), but I like to cover the boards that I use in between my tiers. I don't like putting cake directly onto naked cardboard, I worry about if they are clean and they sometimes have the bit of cardboard fuzz that comes off around the corners, don't want that to get into my frosting or onto the cake itself.

If you're using something other than cardboard, it would be okay, but it grosses me out. I'm just a bit neurotic about that. Plus I worry about the cake making the boards soft and the support dowels poking through, so I tend to wrap to help with added stability.

Good luck with your topper this weekend. You can also use toothpicks inserted into the bottom if dowels or sucker stucks are too large.

Melvira Posted 9 May 2008 , 11:47pm
post #40 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin01

I know Melvira doesn't (and others don't either), but I like to cover the boards that I use in between my tiers. I don't like putting cake directly onto naked cardboard, I worry about if they are clean and they sometimes have the bit of cardboard fuzz that comes off around the corners, don't want that to get into my frosting or onto the cake itself.

If you're using something other than cardboard, it would be okay, but it grosses me out. I'm just a bit neurotic about that. Plus I worry about the cake making the boards soft and the support dowels poking through, so I tend to wrap to help with added stability.

Oh, for tiered cakes I don't use cardboard. icon_wink.gif I would think you should put a little something on them if you're going to use cardboard, yes, because you'll probably want to double up! Good point, I shouldn't take forgranted that people are using the same materials I use!! Thanks for catching that!!! thumbs_up.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:21am
post #41 of 45

so what do you use if it's not cardboard?

Melvira Posted 10 May 2008 , 2:48am
post #42 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

so what do you use if it's not cardboard?

I generally use plastic separator plates unless it's a situation where I know I cannot get them back. (In that case I will still use them if they are willing to pay for me to replace them.) I prefer the stability of the plastic, it just makes me feel better! icon_wink.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 10 May 2008 , 12:55pm
post #43 of 45

SOLD!!!! I'll be attending the wedding so I know I'll be able to get them back. icon_lol.gif I better call my mom and tell her to get the plastic separater plates instead. I'm making her birthday cake, which will be stacked (for practice). Thanks again for all your help.

How was your day yesterday?

Melvira Posted 10 May 2008 , 1:08pm
post #44 of 45

That's a good plan!

Yesterday went pretty well... got all my deliveries made and had some very happy customers. I guess you can't beat that! thumbs_up.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:36pm
post #45 of 45

Thanks again for all the great advise! Thsi is the weekend it all begins. Wish me luck. She decided on a white cake. Bottom tier with raspberry filling, middle tier with chocolate filling and the top tier with buttercream filling. I know I can do this after pulling off my mom's cake (see my avatar) last weekend.

Tonight I'm gonna try to make some better looking cake topper hearts. They didn't come out to bad, but I know I can do better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%