Business Name Question

Business By charman Updated 12 May 2008 , 5:24am by nikki72905

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 21

Okay...apologize now if this gets a tad lengthy...

I am finally doing the paperwork for my license, and trying to come up with a business name. I had originally planned on being called "Buttercream Dreams" and have used it unofficially for the past 2 years. However, I do not feel it reflects the cookie end of my business, and that is one area I really want to market. I always have billed it, as you dream it, and I will make it in buttercream. See how I mean though it doesn't include the cookies much...they have nothing to do with buttercream. However, I still like it.

So I ran a contest among my loyal customers/friends and asked them for their name ideas. The winner will get a a $25 GC towards purchase of a cake or cookie order of their choice. I got lots of names.

2 that stood out to me were..."Goodies from the Night Kitchen"...when I do most of my work since I work a full-time job during the day. Thought I would use the slogan "The most unique creations under that stars!" Another is "Broken Road Bakery"...this comes from our wedding theme..."God Bless the Broken Road". Recently remarried a year ago, and our theme was that. With this one, I am afraid I will have to explain everytime where this comes from...not that I mind, but...

So, I was curious what anyone's thoughts might be on these names, or if I stick to the old one of "Buttercream Dreams", or do I keep looking. This is the part that is holding up my paperwork at this point.

Any help? detective.gif

20 replies
cakeryluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeryluv Posted 7 May 2008 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 21

Ok, first of all, from a professional marketing standpoint, I think it's great to consider your options, as I agree completely that Buttercream Dreams doesn't convey anything about cookies.

A contest among customers is a good idea, the only drawback is that your current customers already know you, so Goodies from the Night Kitchen and Broken Road Bakery may make sense from their point of view, but the remainder of the general public probably wont "get" either of them.

In my opinion, Goodies from the Night Kitchen is too long. Broken Road Bakery gives me a negative feeling, even though I know and totally understand the song. I think anything "Broken" automatically drives your brain to negativity, unless people know your background.

How much of your business is cookie related? How much do you want it to be?

charman Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 21

well, business is pretty much 50/50 I would say. Both make up a good portion of both. I really want to market the cookies, but not something readily available in this area, and I think the potential is there.

I really want something that says both.

I agree with the "broken" part sounding kind of negative, and I don't want that. It is sentimental to us, but not everyone will understand. I really like the Night Kitchen one, but worried it will be too long.

Hmmm.....

cakeryluv Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 21

I do like "The Most Unique Creation Under the Stars" as a tagline, if you can make it work with a name, because I don't think you have to explain it.

If your business is 50/50, but you want to focus more on the cookies, how about a more general bakery name...soemthing like "Moonlight Delights Bakery", so you could incorporate the tagline and maybe you could incorporate a cookie into your logo?? I'm visualizing something like the "oo"'s in Moonlight to look like cookies, in a non-cheesy way. icon_smile.gif

I'll keep thinking... icon_smile.gif

charman Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 21

cool...that would be create. Thanks for the input...anyone else out there want to tag on?

charman Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:36am
post #6 of 21

Thinking it is evening time, and I might get some takers on this forum...does anyone else out there have some input? Cakery has given me some good input, and I would love to hear from some others...please! icon_smile.gif

cakesbyallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyallison Posted 8 May 2008 , 12:50am
post #7 of 21

I agree - Goodies from the Night Kitchen... sounds questionable (creepy) and the Broken Road sounds kind of depressing... Buttercream Dreams is cute - but doesn't say "cookies"... How about something like Moonbeam Bakery, Starlight Bakery or Over the Moon Bakery... do a cute logo w/ a cow jumping over the moon, that's actually a cookie... you could do all kinds of cute stuff w/ that! Good luck! ...you'll come up w/ something!

cakeryluv Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:01pm
post #8 of 21

charman, can you give us some more info? I'm putting together a list of keywords to aid in our brainstorming, but hopefully you've got some more info to help kickstart things..I'm looking for things like your name, city you live in, maybe some of the other name suggestions you received from your customers??? Maybe we can put some of those things together and come up with a winner!

charman Posted 8 May 2008 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 21

Well, let's see...I want to be known as creative, unique and original.
Live...Shenandoah Valley
Do the iced sugar cookies, cookie bouquets, cupcakes, custom cakes, etc. You can look at my picture profile to see my work.

I want a name that is catchy, unique, but memorable! Kind of why I came up with Buttercream Dreams, but that was before I started doing the cookies, and I love doing the cookies and really want to market that end just as much as the cakes if not more.

We have several bakery/florist businesses in our area...they all have the person's name in in...I want to more creative than that. Do not want a name that has...by Carrie in it I don't think. Want something that stands me apart from the rest of the businesses around here.

I work from my home, and do not plan to open a store front at this point in life. All of my work is custom order only...do not have anything sitting around waiting to be bought. I do most of my work at night currently because I do work full-time during the day.

I know I get a lot of WOW! reactions when customers/people see my work. I hear a lot of..."those are just too pretty to eat!" or "I can't cut that cake...it's just to pretty!", etc. I always have to tell them they taste just as good as they look! Not trying to sound cocky...I just know I have done some things that people do not realize is cake, and nothing against Walmart or Costco, but they can't them there either! That is what I want to known for...call me for a cake or cookie order when you want something over the top, or completely unique I had someone say I should build on W.O.W. acronym.

Let's see...what else...I am married and have 2 kids...ages 7 and 10. They both love to help me out whenever they can. I have a degree in Family Consumer Sciences

Does any of this help??? icon_smile.gif I see post all of the time on here where people ask opinions on business names, and there are some really good ones on here! I am just hoping I can get some of the same help.

Thanks in advance!

cakeryluv Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 21

That's great charman icon_smile.gif Just the kind of stuff I was looking for.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 21

Walmart doesn't sell walls, K-Mart doesn't only sell things beginning with the letter 'K', Safeway isn't a Health & safety supply store....you've built your following, customer base and reputation using Buttercream Dreams: I'd keep it!

It's a sweet name, and you can always add a little secondary line on business cards "Cookie and Cake Specialties" or something. Don't change mid-stream, sistah!!!

Best of luck to you!!! icon_wink.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 21

This isn't catchy or anything, but it works fabulously for internet searches. i've found that not only brides but everyone else does there initial search for products and even phone numbers on the net. therefore, I'd encourage you to use the name of your city followed by Cookies and Cakes. Shenandoah Cookies and Cakes. Add a catchy tagline. That way, anytime any one searches for the words Shenandoah and cakes or Shenandoah and cookies, your website will come up - and you won't even have to pay for Google Adwords to get high placement.

I can't tell you how much my biz improved after I bought Louisville Wedding Cake.com. No matter what brides search on, the name of the city and the word cake is very, very likely to be in her search.

Again, not cute, but extremely practical.

cakeryluv Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 21

Hmm... I agree with Homemade-Goodies about those retail stores, but I think there is a bit of a difference between a well-known chain retail store vs a more specialized bakery.

In all honesty, if I saw or heard "Buttercream", I would instantly think cake and nothing more.

I do like leahs advice...at the very least I would think it would be smart to buy that domain either way, you can always link it to whatever you decide your actual name to be, if you want a cuter name.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:56pm
post #14 of 21

When I hear buttercream dreams I think of Sugar Cookie Wishes. Kinda like Lifestyles of the rich and famous.

Buttercream Dreams,
......... Sugar Cookie Wishes

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:27pm
post #15 of 21

Oh wow MarthaJo - I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE that!!!! So perfect too, take a known established name, but instead of changing it - adding to it. Great idea!!!

Katied75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katied75 Posted 8 May 2008 , 4:53pm
post #16 of 21

I was also thinking that adding something about cookies underneath would be perfect. I really like "Buttercream Dreams" and the Tagline underneath could be "and Cookie wishes" or "and Cookie Creations" or "and Cookies Galore" or something like that.

Katie

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 8 May 2008 , 5:52pm
post #17 of 21

What caught my eye was the "as you dream it" that you mentioned for the "Buttercream Dreams". So what about "Dream It Cookies & Cakes" (I like leahs suggestion). Or maybe just "Dreamy Cookies & Cakes". That would spark my interest to see what was so dreamy!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:01am
post #18 of 21

You probably don't want to go this direction, but we set up two companies for the different functions. Cater It Simple is obviously for catering, foods and wedding cakes. "Banna's Cookies" came along later for the cookie side of the biz. Both are dba's under the LLC. All paperwork is done under the LLC's name.

trulyscrumptious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyscrumptious Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:14am
post #19 of 21

It's late and my brain is fritzy but what about Midnight Delights Bakery or like some have said just add on to your existing name with something, I liked Sugar Cookie Wishes. Or for a tag you could do Buttercream Dreams- A Cut-Out Above the Rest. But now that I write that it sounds a bit cheesy...

Need Sleep!
~Truly

joy5678 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joy5678 Posted 12 May 2008 , 4:43am
post #20 of 21

What about "Sweet Dreams Bakery"? Short, simple
& would include anything you wanted to add to the menu.

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 12 May 2008 , 5:24am
post #21 of 21

I love the

Buttercream Dreams & Sugar cookie wishes

it is a bit long but memorable ...

It is just sooo cute!

I can hear it being said on the phone

Thank you for calling Buttercream dreams and Sugar cookie wishes, how can I help you today.....

I would not add bakery at the end just Buttercream dreams and Sugar cookie wishes...

It will def. set you above the rest...

But one other that came to mind was :
The Night Dream Bakery
Or
Sweet Dreams (i think someone already said this)
Stary Dreams
Moon Dreams
The Dreamery

Good luck... you have some great ideas here

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%