Beginning Supplies

Decorating By hsswoosh Updated 7 May 2008 , 2:37am by CakeRN

hsswoosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsswoosh Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 10

I have posted in the decorating forum but, I didn't see this one. I'm new to cake decorating and need to stock up on supplies and etc. I was wondering everyones opinions on what I need, what are good brands, good products, and etc. All the details and tips to great cake making! Please let me know all those little secrets! hehe! Thanks so much!

9 replies
crellyd99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crellyd99 Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 10

I am also interested, bumping to help get feed back.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 10

Wish there was an easy answer, but with so much selection out there, and a lot of good quality stuff, it would come down to personal preference and availability in your area. I live in a rural area and most of what we have are Wilton products at Walmart. Reasonably priced, decent quality, and easist to buy here. Wilton does sell beginner kits and also offers classes. Sorry can't offer more advice.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 10

Besides tip, plan to have lots of extra couplers. Dont waste your money on plastic tips or liquid food colorings. Stick with things that the professionals use, usually they're less expensive anyway.

Get contact paper to cover your cake boards (dont use foil), dont waste your money on Wilton brand fondant (its expensive and it tastes gross). Maybe buy it (or preferably satin ice) once, so you understand how the texture should be, but make your own marshamallow fondant after that.

If you can, buy your pans from places like Hobby Lobby that let you use a 40% off coupon. I bought parchment trianges in the begining cause they're so cheap, but I've found that if I buy disposable bags by the 100 from country kitchen its much better and cheaper. I dont even waste my time trying to wash the feather weight bags.

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 10

The best advice I can give is stock up on different tips and start practicing...you will need all the different size pans, I use Magic Line, but you can start out with Wilton if you want to go easy...the best thing for you to do is start baking and when you have a question just search here and there is most likely a thread with really good advice already on whatever you are trying to do. There is so much advice, to ask for all of it in one thread in general is a little tough. Maybe narrowing down your question to let us know what level you are or how much you have done will help with the advice...

vteventrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vteventrider Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 10

Invest in good quality stuff because if you buy poor quality and it breaks you need to buy again and then wasted money. There are so many things out there and different preferences on them that it is a lot of reading what is posted on here. I prefer Magic Line pans for pans. A little pricey but I feel worth the investment.

As for decorating supplies, are there any cake decorating shops around you? Not Michaels or WalMart but a cake shop? I would go in there and pick their brain on things. Most are more than happy to share their knowledge and love of decorating.

hsswoosh Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 10

Well, I'm most definitely a beginner. I have never worked with fondant and am wanting to start to. I was asked to make a baby shower cake for a friend and need lots of practice before I do that. I need all of the basic necessities such as pans, tips, etc. I need everything! lol I called a local baker and they said that all they know of around me is Hobby Lobby. I'm in Denton, Tx but, Dallas is very close. There was a big baking distributor with a $100 dollar minimum to buy from them that I also had contacted.

From talking to people on here I have been suggested to start with the "white almond sour cream cake" but, would like to bake from scratch, to try the satin ice fondant and stay away from wilton. To use a crusting buttercream icing (buttercream dream was suggested). I have also been suggested to use gel food colors and not the liquids.Oh and to use viva paper towels or the melvira method.

So, as to supplies what are good tips to get (style and brand), basic pans and molds, different recipes that are good to start with. Basically, all the supplies needed to complete a two tier fondant cake... or even a single tier would be fine for now. Should I use a recipe for fondant and gum paste and etc or should I buy premade.

Those are a few things I'm needing to know. I'm going on a teach myself basis so, I'm trying to learn all that I can!

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 7 May 2008 , 12:46am
post #8 of 10

I like the decorating tips without a seam in them. As for a learn at home decorator....definitely check into Sugarshacks DVD's. Very informative on the how to for BC and fondant. Can't wait to get the new one. I like the products Hobby Lobby and Micheal's carry. They work for me.

hsswoosh Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:19am
post #9 of 10

i'll be going to culinary school in july but, have had some requests for cakes before then. so, ill definitely get the training- just not yet =)

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:37am
post #10 of 10

Ateco tips are pretty good but most stores don't carry them. I started making my own fondant using colette Peters/Toba Garretts recipe. It tastes good since you put what ever flavoring you want into it. I originally bought the Wilton pans but ended up going with Magic Line since they are so much heavier and don't dent like the wilton ones do. Always line your pans with parchement so your cakes don't stick. Cook at 300 or 325 instead of 350.

Good luck...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%