I Need Help With Using Tappits

Decorating By beverlyanne Updated 29 May 2008 , 12:47pm by adunfag

beverlyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beverlyanne Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 19

Hello everyone,

I attempted to use my new FMM Funky Alphabet Tappits this weekend on MMF. I tried to follow the directions carefully regarding rolling out the fondant very thin. I kept having problems with the fondant sticking to the tappit or I couldn't lift the fondant letter off my board without tearing it.

Is there a trick to using tappits? Should I not use them on fondant? Should the fondant be a bit on the dry side before attempting to lay down the tappit?

I would appreciate hearing about your experience(s) and I really would appreciate any help I can get with working with these. They seem like so much fun. Thanks.

Bev

18 replies
crazy4sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazy4sugar Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:25pm
post #2 of 19

I love my tappits!

The trick is: use gumpaste (or 1/2 gumpaste and 1/2 fondant mix), roll it thin (preferably with a pasta machine), and let it dry for a spell (2-3 minutes). Place the gumpaste on a hard surface and push down the tappit onto the paste. Cut in a circular motion and peel the extra paste from around the tappit. The letter or shape is generally stuck inside the cutter --- get it out gently with a toothpick or hat pin. Let it dry for another 5 minutes to avoid distorting the image or letter.

Have fun! thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 19

I grease my tappits with shortening before cutting to make releasing a little easier then use a needle to help coax it out if necessary. Let dry on a flat surface a couple of minutes before trying to move.

KaraCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraCakes Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 19

What are tappits? I looked them up on GSA, but I don't get it. Are they cutters? Help me out here... I feel clueless! icon_redface.gif

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 19

I knead in a little bit of tylo powder and let that set for a few minutes (covered). To get the letters out you really have to "tappit" (snap it fairly hard on the counter...don't be shy.) Then I let the letters dry for a few minutes. I find them pretty easy to work with then.

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraCakes

What are tappits? I looked them up on , but I don't get it. Are they cutters? Help me out here... I feel clueless! icon_redface.gif

Here are tappits I used on this cake:

I use gumpaste/fondant (50/50). Roll very thin. I then flip it over, let dry a little. then I dust the tappit with powder sugar and press firmly. For me I just tap on the table and they fall out. Once in awhile I will use a pin, like for the letter "a' used in the cake posted..

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 7 May 2008 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 19

I just use fondant with my tappits. Roll out thin and let dry for a few minutes. Then to avoid sticking, I dust the fondant well w/ ps and place a piece of plastic wrap between the fondant and the tappit. Comes out SO easily!

But if it's not dry enough or dusted well, it may stick to the plastic wrap.

I love tappits now!! Now that I've got the hang of them. Good luck!

nelja5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelja5 Posted 7 May 2008 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 19

where can I get tappits? Can I get it at any stores? or do I have to order ot online?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 8 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #10 of 19

I am so glad you asked this question. I tried to use my tappits on a cake I did a couple of weeks ago and I had the exact problems you did. I let my gumpaste dry a little and they still stuck badly. My gumpaste was rolled thin and I sprayed my letters, nothing worked. I like the tip about the plastic wrap. I would have never thought of that. I have a cake to do in a couple of weeks that I want to try that hint to see if it is successful for me.

nelja5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelja5 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 19

sorry for ths stu.. question what is ps? jejej

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:13pm
post #12 of 19

powdered sugar icon_wink.gif

doreenre Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:36pm
post #13 of 19

The plastic wrap thing was a handy tip I learned here at CC! Works like a charm.

beverlyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beverlyanne Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:38pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenre

The plastic wrap thing was a handy tip I learned here at CC! Works like a charm.

Do you know if using plastic wrap will work on something as small & defined as the tappit letters?

Bev

crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 8 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 19

I use all my tappits a lot! I will say I had a harder time with the funky tappits than any of my other sets.

I use straight fondant roll it to a 3 on my pasta machine and dust it and the tappits with cornstarch. Then I press the tappit on the fondant and let it sit in the tappit for a minute or so. I tap it out and if a part is stuck I use my Xacto knife to poke it and remove it.

If I have very very soft fondant I'll mix a little tylose with it and let it sit for 10 min before rolling and cutting.

`

doreenre Posted 8 May 2008 , 6:14pm
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

Do you know if using plastic wrap will work on something as small & defined as the tappit letters?

Bev

It works for me every time. Since I've learned this tip, I use plastic wrap with my tappits & wilton cutters.

mlwideman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mlwideman Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:16pm
post #17 of 19

Doreenre,

I thank you a million times over for the tip about the plastic wrap. I tried it for my last two cakes and it worked like a charm. I can't thank you enough!!!

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:27pm
post #18 of 19

I thought I finally figured out the use of my tappits, but now will try the plastic wrap idea! I think with the funky cutters it might tend to be a little trickier as the little curls, but will give it a try! Thanks

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:47pm
post #19 of 19

I use 50/50 gumpaste and fondant and roll really thin and I have no problems with that. I am curious to try the plastic wrap idea. There's also a tutorial by Aine2 on YouTube that shows how to do it, I saw it yesterday in another discussion on the Funky Cutters.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%