First Tiered Cake This Sat.; I'm Petrified Help

Decorating By yummy Updated 7 May 2008 , 8:23pm by aswartzw

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:16pm
post #1 of 6

I don't have time to order the sps system. I'm afraid to try dowels. Please help my first tiered cake be successful.

Does Wilton have something like the sps system?

With this method, can I travel with it without damaging it?

Any other sure fire tips will be great. Unfortunately, I can't afford sugarshacks stacking dvd now.

5 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 6 May 2008 , 8:23pm
post #2 of 6

How many tiers are you doing? What sizes? and is there going to be space between tiers?

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:33am
post #3 of 6

I use the spiked columns. You don't have to use any wooden dowels. Look at my picture of my last wedding cake.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 7 May 2008 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 6

It';s for my nephews 2nd birthday. Elmo themed and it will be two tiers either 12" and 8" or 10" and 6" haven't decided yet.

If I have to do it with colums, I don't want the distance of the tiers to be too far. I like the look of the globe set by wilton the distance; but, I don't like the fact that the hidden pillars will take chunks out of the cake. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. TIA.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 6

Use the wooden dowels.. they are more than fine.. especially for a 2 tiered cake. You can put on through both tiers for extra measure. Just make sure that you cut them all the same length and it will be fine. icon_smile.gif I don't like the wilton separator plates either.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 7 May 2008 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 6

Relax!!! icon_wink.gif

Seriously, it's not that bad. I guess I'm glad I did my first one before I knew any better because I didn't have a care in the world when I did and definitely didn't know anything about it and it still came out fine.

Some hints: Make sure your dowels are evenly spaced and are cut to each other NOT the cake. This prevents them from being uneven.

If you want a perfectly level cake, buy the small levels and level them.

I use sucker sticks. I've traveled with sucker sticks.

If you don't have to, don't travel with them stacked. Finish it there. Also at no time should the top tier rest on the bottom tier. Cut your dowels 1/8" taller than the bottom tier to keep this from happening.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%