Differences Between...

Decorating By babyblues1520 Updated 6 May 2008 , 6:53pm by babyblues1520

babyblues1520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblues1520 Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 5

I know this may sound crazy BUT what is the differences between a pound cake and regular cake?

I'm wanting to make a Dark chocolate pound cake with purple and yellow colored orange flavored white chocolate icing....The icing has to be poured and the cake has to be pound cake...and it will be cut to shape.....any help and good recipes would be greatly appreciated.....

and what is the best icing to use? butter cream, whipped, cream cheese, etc....? Thanks

4 replies
SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 5

pound cake history used to be you use a pound of each ingredient I think. In my making of cakes and pound cakes, the pound cake is more firm in texture not light and fluffy like a mix cake... they hold up to stacking very well and can be iced with anything really.... I sell mine glazed and unglazed and then if someone wants a poundcake as a decorated cake I have used BC and or Fondant on it..... HTH.....

dbax Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbax Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 5

I don't have a recipe but. . . .what I've heard is, originally Pound Cake had 1 lb of each ingredient hence the name pound cake... It is also very dense, making carving easier. Regular cake is softer, more delicate and can crumble easily and it is sometimes more moist, depending on your recipe. You should be able to find a chocolate pound cake recipe online . . .

There are a few recipes on foodnetwork.com

Is your poured frosting a ganche? I happened to go to a ganache demo this past weekend and learned that I needed to put a thin layer of frosting on the cake before pouring the ganache over the top or the cake will absorb the ganache and it won't have a smooth coating.

HTH
diana

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 5

Pound cake is generally all butter and is much heavier than a light and fluffy chiffon or even regular boxed mix.

babyblues1520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblues1520 Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the reply.....I was thinking that the pound cake was heavier more solid then the normal cakes that have larger air holes....and lighter....BUT I when I did a search for the dark chocolate pound cake MOST said extra moist and fluffy. So I didn't think that I would be able to carve what I'm wanting out of it....I'm making My mother a cake in the shape of a Pansy (one 9 in. round chocolate pound and one 9in chocolate pound cut in half horizontally then them cut to make the petal shapes ) then stacked together. well after I poor the icing over the petals....and place on the colored crystals......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%