Refridgeration Necessary?

Decorating By JoHannaBell Updated 6 May 2008 , 5:54pm by JoHannaBell

JoHannaBell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoHannaBell Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 14

i feel like a dummy for asking this question, because i've made a lot of cakes- never sold any... i'm not quite there yet icon_razz.gif - anyways heres my question. I was wondering if you have to refridgerate cake after it's decorated? I've always put mine in the fridge but had quite a few mishaphs with condensation. lol... its like a race for time to get to the destination before it melts. so i was wondering if it's ok to leave a cake out unrefridgerated with BC icing? My main concern is the icing melting.. but i guess if i make it thick enough it will be ok. I'm doing fondant on the cake i'm working on now... and i just dont want there to be a 50/50 chance it will get there ok. thanks... and i wouldnt know what to do without the help from all the CC members! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 14

What recipe for BC are you using? If you use a shortening based recipe, you don't need to refrigerate it at all. I'm not sure about the butter kind. I have only ever used it once. I think it's awful. And I did refrigerate that. But, it had white chocolate ganache over the BC.

Sugarshack has an awesome BC recipe that doesn't require any refrigeration.

HTH ~Mindy

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 14

I use shortening and butter in my recipe for BC and never refridgerate unless I have a filling that needs to be. I have never had a problem

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 6 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 14

The sugar in the icing acts like a preservative for the butter, so no, it does not need to be refrigerated. Also, fondant helps to keep the cake and BC fresh, so you shouldn't have any problems. I use all butter BC all the time and I normally take my practice cakes to work so they aren't just sitting around my house. I haven't had any problems with it sitting out and is still just as delicious. HTH!

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:01pm
post #5 of 14

I watched a "Good Eats" about butter once and from what I remember real butter does not require refridgeration. Margerine does however, a stick of butter can be stored at room temp and not go bad, so I'm assuming the bc with butter can to.

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:05pm
post #6 of 14

Please, can you tell me where to find the BC icing made by Sugarshack that does not need refrigeration?

Thanks
A.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:08pm
post #7 of 14

Sugarshack is a decorator that has a great DVD about icing with BC and if you search it here you can find her recipe.

mindywith3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindywith3boys Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 14

on her you tube video.

thumbs_up.gif ~Mindy

JoHannaBell Posted 6 May 2008 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 14

i use the wilton BC recipe. same amount of butter as shortening. i use margarine though. should i use real butter so it won't melt? i'll take a look at that sugarshack BC... thanks for everyone's help!!!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:59pm
post #10 of 14

This is a good topic for a thread! I have used half short and half butter and have used all butter. I have had good results with both and no problems with refrigeration unless a filling is needed to be refrigerated. No problems. I believe an all butter buttercream would sweat more than a half and half if refrigerated. I really haven't paid that much attention to it. I think I will from now on.

Thankyou for posting the link to sugarshacks buttercream but why is it called buttercream if there is NO BUTTER in it!?!?!?!?!?! icon_eek.gif I am considering buying her video as I hear she has some other great tips to share but an icing recipe with THAT much shortening! OMG!!!!!! What is the texture of it? Is it light and fluffy? Doesn't it leave a greasy film on the roof of the mouth? Is it hi-ratio shortening or just plain ol' Crisco shortening? Maybe I should ask her these questions huh? Okay, just read the recipe posted and it is Sweetex! DUH!!!

Amy

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 14

Hi ratio shortening makes a delicious buttercream. I use 3/4 hi ratio and 1/4 butter and follow the rest of Sugarshack's recippe..

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 14

Thankyou for posting the link to sugarshacks buttercream but why is it called buttercream if there is NO BUTTER in it!?!?!?!?!?! icon_eek.gif I am considering buying her video as I hear she has some other great tips to share but an icing recipe with THAT much shortening! OMG!!!!!! What is the texture of it? Is it light and fluffy? Doesn't it leave a greasy film on the roof of the mouth? Is it hi-ratio shortening or just plain ol' Crisco shortening? Maybe I should ask her these questions huh? Okay, just read the recipe posted and it is Sweetex! DUH!!!

Amy[/quote]

I've used Sugarshack's recipe several times now. It goes on so smooth, & if you use hi-ratio shortening, it shouldn't leave a greasy film in your mouth. She uses a flavor emulsion, which I've never used before. I use butter, vanilla, & cream bouquet flavor. Personally, I like the flavor of Buttercream Dream (half & half) a little better, but I've gotten great reviews from both recipes. I've also used the Buttercream Dream recipe & adjusted it so that it comes to the top of the mixer with smoother results. Butter contains water, and you don't have to use as much liquid as an all shortening recipe. I just bought a 50# box of hi-ratio shortening, so I guess I'll be making Sharon's recipe til I run out.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:31pm
post #13 of 14

Buttercream dream is what I have used for a long time now but still have trouble with air. I have never used Sweetex but have ordered some from my local supply shop and when I went yesterday to see if it came in yet, the owner wasn't there and the gal working yesterday couldn't find any record that it was ordered or even came in! icon_mad.gif Kind of irate about that!!! My orders are due starting next Tuesday and I ordered a week and a half ago!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I am definately willing to try it as I do love the look of the texture. Do you think this recipe will satisfy my customers choice of a "whipped icing"? They want a light texture, not heavy and less sugary!

Sorry to hijack here but took the opportunity to answer a few questions I had about the recipe.

Amy

JoHannaBell Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:54pm
post #14 of 14

can i use normal shortening for that sugarshack recipe? all i have is a wal-mart nearby... so my choices are limited... icon_mad.gif ... But i think for this cake i'm gunna stick with my usual BC recipe, and use real butter this time. I really want to purchace that cream bouquet flavor. i never knew that there were so many different recipes for just plain ol' butter cream...lol. and dont worry about hijacking the tread... believe me... i need ALL the help you can offer! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%