Decorations Questions

Decorating By dixon920 Updated 6 May 2008 , 5:38pm by dixon920

dixon920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixon920 Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 4

I guess I got two questions.... i am making my sister's baby shower cake in a couple weeks and I'm gonna make some of the decorations myself out of gum paste and/or fondant .... can someone please tell me how to store the decorations and how far in advance i can make them? I'd really appreciate it.

thanks a million

3 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 4

Hi there, If I make decorations with gumpaste, I would do it a week ahead and store it in an air tight box.

And if I want to stick stripes or dots on a cake, I would do it on the same day I cover the cake.

HTH.

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 4

Make them now if you want. Depending on what you are making depends on how long it will take it to harden. The bigger and thicker the longer it will take. Just put them in a box or egg crate, my work uses a lot of manilla folders and I think they make perfect boxes for my decorations. You don't want them getting dusty...that's why the box works well. Also you have to be careful about leaving them in the light b/c the colors will fade. I have some fondant/gumpaste roses that are a year old and still look great. And make sure if you are going to use fondant that you mix it with about half gumpaste. That way it will harden nicely. Good luck! Make sure you post your pics for us when done.

dixon920 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dixon920 Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 4

most definately will post pics as i go.... thanks for the tip bout 1/2 gumpaste 1/2 fondant.... i'll just be making little things to attach to the cake like diaper pins and footprints and bottles and baby stuff.... thanks a million and i look forward to yalls opinion when its all done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%