Cookie Fanatics I Need Your Help.. Cake Maker In Need Lol

Baking By wgoat5 Updated 14 May 2008 , 6:37pm by BrandisBaked

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:35am
post #1 of 20

I am having a Out of School sleepover for my daughter in 2 weeks.. I need a wonderful chocolate chip cookie that you scoop out with a big ole ice cream scoop AND they stay thick when baked... My girl seen a throwdown with Bobby Flay and they featured these really thick and huge chocolate chip cookies!!! I want to please her because she has carried a 103 average for 2 YEARS icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif (yes she is going to be honored by the state WOO HOOO) anywho can anybody help me .. or at least tell me what would cause the cookies to stay puffy and big instead of flat and snappy LOL

Thanks a million guys!! icon_biggrin.gif

Have a wonderful day icon_smile.gif

19 replies
mgigglin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgigglin Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:52am
post #2 of 20

Hi Christy,

I have a great chocolate chip cookie recipe but it is at home and I am at work! I almost know it from memory but I don't want to take a chance.. so I will pm it to you later today if that is okay? I call it my monster chip cookie, it has 4 different kinds of chips in it and is a hit everytime! I'm just sorry I can't give it to you now. icon_sad.gif

Kim

wgoat5 Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:58am
post #3 of 20

That would be great Kim icon_smile.gif .. at your convience ok?

Does it stay thick? (Sounds yummy btw!!)

mgigglin Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:02am
post #4 of 20

I scoop the cookies out in a generous spoonful and they have a nice domed shape. I don't usually make them real thick but I don't see why you couldn't and just bake them a minute longer or something? You want to make icecream sandwiches is that it?

Kim

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:04am
post #5 of 20

Congrats on your daughter. I believe our greatest accomplishments are how our kids turn out. It says a lot for you as a parent. WooooHooooo Christie. Congrats icon_biggrin.gif

As for the cookies. I use the recipe on the back of the brown sugar I get at Sam's club. I'll dig it out if needed.

Mike

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:06am
post #6 of 20

Please post recipes here so we all can share. icon_biggrin.gif

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:09am
post #7 of 20

If you go to foodtv.com and search "Bobby Flay cookie" you get this.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_122790,00.html

It is listed as coming from a throwdown show. The picture attached to the recipe may be a stock picture.

wgoat5 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:44am
post #8 of 20

What the cookie is that she seen is the competitors cookie .. that Bobby did the TD with... They were REAL thick .. and really chunky with nuts and such.. But they were at least a 1" thick..

I thought about just scooping them out thick like that .. but they just spread icon_cry.gif .. something in these cookies make them hold their shape.. and they just spread a tad bit and bake thick.

I appreciate all the replies.. icon_smile.gif

And yes I am VERY proud icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

peardream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peardream Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:00pm
post #9 of 20

Hi,

Those cookies are Levain cookies. I've been reading a blog called cookiemadness.net and she's been obsessed with trying to duplicate it. Here's a link to all of her posts that have to do with Levain cookies.

http://www.cookiemadness.net/?s=levain

Good Luck!

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 20

I use half butter and half butter flavored crisco to keep them nice and thick. If you really want a tall cookie, do all crisco. Doing more brown sugar than white will keep them chewy and adding a bit of shredded coconut will help with keeping them soft (even though you can't taste the coconut).

I do a ton of "eyeballing" when it comes to my chocolate chip cookies. So, while I can give you exact measurements, these are probably very close:

1 c butter/crisco (see above)
3/4 c sugar
1 c brown sugar (dark brown will give the chewiest result)
2 eggs
1-2 tsp vanilla.

Cream the sugar and butter first then add eggs and vanilla.

In a bowl, add 2 c AP flour, 1.5-2 cups oats, 2 tsp powder, 1 tsp soda, 1 tsp salt. Slowly add in to the above mixture in 1/3s.

Don't over beat. Stop as soon as the last of the flour is mixed in well.

At the end I add a handful of cocount, the chips and whatever else (peanut butter, M&Ms etc) and mix it in well.

Always take out of the oven just before they look done. Mine take about 10-13 minutes in a 375 oven.

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:33am
post #11 of 20

Oh man, did you see the pictures Katrina posted from the Levain bakery? I know what I'm baking after I take my exam and have time to bake again...I'll be dreaming about them for 2 weeks!

YUM!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:50am
post #12 of 20

I saw that too. She said they weight 6 ounces each! That's a lot of cookie!

Alton Brown did a puffy chocolate chip cookie and used cake flour instead of AP. It did puff up a bit more than usual, but I made them with AP and they were basically the same but slightly chewier, so do a search for his puffy cookie and give that a try. They didn't spread flat for me. I used all butter instead of shortening. AB is where I learned the more brown sugar than white trick to soft cookies.

I don't understand the grading system. 103 average? You don't use 2.0-4.0, that kind of grading system?

wgoat5 Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:15am
post #13 of 20

Michelle.. In 3 of my daughters classes her midterms ranged from 101 to 103 .. She would be a 4.0 icon_smile.gif

mgigglin Posted 7 May 2008 , 2:16am
post #14 of 20

Ok so I already pm'd Christy the recipe cuz I couldnt get on the forum... but here it is for the rest you folks who want a cookie that is to die for!!!

the Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookie

1 1/2 cups butter or marg, softened
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1 T vanilla
2 eggs
4 cups ap flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups chopped nuts, if desired
4 cups chocolate chips ** I do a cup of 4 diff kinds of chips...
semi, dark,peanut butter, white, butterscotch,mint,raspberry... heehee ok whatever chip you like.. oh the cappucino chips are good iwth the dark and white ones!
I digress... back to recipe...

Heat oven to 375'. Beat butter,sugars, vanilla and eggs in large bowl with electric mixer on med speed, or mix with spoon. Stir in flour, baking soda, salt. Dough will be stiff. Stir in chips and nuts.

Drop dough by level 1/4 cupfuls of #16 cookie/icecream scoop about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. ( i use parchment paper) Flatten with fork-(i do not). Bake 13-15 min or until light brown on edges. Centers will be soft! Cool 1-2 min on cookie sheet then move to wire rack

enjoy, Kim

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 8 May 2008 , 7:21am
post #15 of 20

Here are the 3 Alton Brown Recipes from his recent show on CC cookies, he explains the science behind it all, there is a post from a few days ago with a link to the show transcript (which I read because I missed the actual show and I'm a dork) I'll try to find and repost it for anyone who wants it was very interesting. Anyhow the cookie names tell you the results to expect icon_smile.gif

The Puffy:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_13616,00.html

The Chewy
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_13617,00.html

The Thin
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_13615,00.html

Link to the show transcript (Thanks to peanut123 for sharing it)
http://www.goodeatsfanpage.com/GEFP/index.htm

Good luck! Andrea

shisharka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shisharka Posted 8 May 2008 , 7:37am
post #16 of 20

One way to achieve a thicker cookie is to make it more cake-likeâ¦
If youâre up for experimenting before the event, make half batch of your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe (so you wouldnât ruin all 6 dozens if it didnât work icon_smile.gif ) and add about 2 tbsp plain or vanilla yogurt, with about 1tsp of baking soda dissolved in it⦠Result should be chewy, crispier top and bottom and very cake-like, thick middle⦠Good luck!

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:14pm
post #17 of 20

Ok I tried the levain copy cat and here are the results: I LOVE THEM!

the first one I added pecans and the second is just choc chips
LL
LL

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 11 May 2008 , 5:36pm
post #18 of 20

I found a recipe on the internet that I love. I use an ice cream scoop to portion them, and they are huge, and hold up really well. I add a little (or a lot - heh) more chocolate chips than the recipe calls for - but I really like chocolate.

I wish I remembered where I got it from so I could post a link. If you can't find one you like though, let me know and I'll just type it up for you.

wgoat5 Posted 12 May 2008 , 2:12am
post #19 of 20

Thank you all for your wonderful help icon_smile.gif

I rely on CC so much I don't know what I'd do without ya'll icon_smile.gif

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 14 May 2008 , 6:37pm
post #20 of 20

Someone asked me for the recipe, so I'll post the link here as well in case anyone else wants to try them:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/108703

These are really great if you want the huge, thick cookies. As I said, I use the large ice cream scoop for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%