Help! Need Transportation Advice From You All Pros Out There

Decorating By anku Updated 7 May 2008 , 1:55am by angienajjar

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 6 May 2008 , 4:31am
post #1 of 16

Ok . we just to moevd to new and bigger place( I'm really excited about it) BUT flip side to this house is I'm having nightmares regarding cake transportation. Around a mile from my house the road is kinda curvy and more so it goes up and down.....and I;m more worried about that!

Now, my question to you all pros are what should I do that cake doesn't slip or move??? What kind of non skid mat should I put behind my car?
Is there anything else that'll secure my cake and my fears of sliping my cake icon_cry.gif

Please help!!!

15 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:02am
post #2 of 16

oh boy, I hope someone can help you with this. My only suggestion is that you make sure that the cake board you use fits the entire bottom of the box it's in that way it doesn't slide back and forth when in transit. AND make sure that if it's a tiered cake that you have inside supports (dowels) in the cake.

anku Posted 6 May 2008 , 5:53am
post #3 of 16

Oh yeah..I'm gonna dowel it well for sure!!! The road is not that curvy just it goes up and down couple of times...and that scares the hell out me!!

What kind of non skid mat does everybody uses?? Anything special?

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 May 2008 , 6:13am
post #4 of 16

The non-skid shelf liner is excellent, cheap, and easy to cut.

I use it under the cake in the box, and under the box

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 6 May 2008 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 16

My advice is to refrigerate the cake if at all possible, it will make it much sturdier when transporting.

BTW: every cake i make needs to survive going down a very steep hill then back up the other side. I do have the option when pulling out of my drive to go out on the top of the hill, but that is a blind corner, and i don't want to get creamed.

Crazy-4-Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 6 May 2008 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 16

I've used the non-skid shelf liners as well. But another trick I like, is to dampen a large towel (not too wet b'cuz you don't want your cake board to get soggy) Then I spread that out in my truck and put my cake on this. Having a damp towel is also helpful when you get to the hall and the cake is all set up, you have a place to wipe you hands.

anku Posted 6 May 2008 , 9:22pm
post #7 of 16

Wow the towel idea sounds great! Even I worried about two steep slopes that comes before it becomes a straight road!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 16

i just transported a cake using the non-slip shelf liner. I lined a plastic tote with it, and then put the bottom two layers (stacked) directly on it, and the top layer (separate) directly on it as well. Of course they were both on cardboard. I drove an extremely windy and horribly maintained road that is about 10 miles long. I almost died. But when I got there the cake didn't budge an inch. Definitely recommend that shelf liner!

anku Posted 6 May 2008 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 16

What is a plastic tote that you are mentioning?

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #10 of 16

one of those large plastic tubs that come in various sizes with lids. Like really huge tupperware. sorry I call them plastic totes and didn't think that no one would know what i meant!

mommak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommak Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 16

I love the non-skid liners. I also use these containers as well. They come in I think about 3 sizes...they HUG your cake nicely.
LL

Chrisl121070 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisl121070 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:09pm
post #12 of 16

My Wilton instructor suggested getting pieces of thin foam (like eggcrate foam) and putting them in the bottom of a cardboard box and/or in your trunk. The cake boards won't slide on the foam.

anku Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:11pm
post #13 of 16

Interesting!! Ok let me get this right. First you lined the back of the car with shelf liner. Then you lined the "Plastic tote" with the liner as well and then put the tiered cake( stacked) with the cake borad in it!!

YES? Is that correct?

anku Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:14pm
post #14 of 16

Thin foam....from where can I get it! I'm going to try every trick in the world and see which ones work for me!! icon_smile.gif

Chrisl121070 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrisl121070 Posted 6 May 2008 , 11:30pm
post #15 of 16

I'm not sure, I haven't gone to get any yet. LOL

It's usually used as packing material, so I don't know if you checked with a grocery store they might have it in the back? Or you might be able to get it at a craft store.

I just did a quick google search, and came up with a few sites that sell it.

http://www.foambymail.com/CharcoalFoam.html

http://www.foambymail.com/PolyFoam.html

http://www.foamdistributing.com/

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:55am
post #16 of 16

Hi,
I use the foam pad technique, which is simply a 1/4" thick sheet of foam that you can buy at a hardware store. I put this on the floor of the trunk of the car, and rest each cake on it (or if stacked) the cake board. It does not slip nor slide. If the weather is poor, rainy, etc. I cut open one side seam of a jumbo garbage bag, (like a teepee tent) and place around my cake, using a clothes peg to hold the opening closed. This ensures no moisture can get to the sugar (bad news!!!). I usually transport my cakes fully stacked (seems very few separated cakes being done). By the way, the foam also seems to hug around the edges of the board.....due to its thickness. I also have a 1/2" and 1" thick foam pad, and have used either on occasions that call for more stability.
and just DRIVE CAREFULLY....it will be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%